CAERLAVEROCK - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"CAERLAVEROCK, (or Carlaverock), a parish in the county of Dumfries, Scotland, 6 miles to the S.E. of Dumfries. It is situated in a fertile district on the coast of the Solway Frith, between the river Nith and Lochar Water, and contains the small ports of Glencapel and Kelton, and the villages of Bankend and Quay. It is chiefly interesting as the site of a castle, the massive and picturesque ruins of which stand on a level spot on the E. side of the Nith. It was besieged and taken by Edward I., in 1300, and after many subsequent sieges and captures, was finally taken and dismantled by Cromwell. In 1357 it was the scene of a terrible tragedy, which has furnished the subject of one of the ballads published in the "Minstrelsy of the Scottish Border." This castle was the seat of the family of the Maxwells of Nithsdale, who are still proprietors of the district. There are remains of an ancient chapel dedicated to St. Columba, and of a castle. The living, worth £177, is in the presbytery of Dumfries, and in the gift of the Marquis of Queensberry. There are several free schools, and some charitable endowments founded by Dr. Hutton, a native of the parish, and first physician to William III. and Queen Anne. He died in 1712. The annual produce of the charities is nearly £200. The parish extends about 6 miles in length and between 1 and 2 miles in breadth."
"BANKEND, a village in the parish of Caerlaverock, in the county of Dumfries, Scotland, 5 miles to the S. of Dumfries."
"BLACKSHAW, a village in the parish of Caerlaverock, in the county of Dumfries, Scotland, 7 miles to the S. of Dumfries. It is seated on the coast of the Solway Frith, near the mouth of the Lochar river. Blackshaw Flats is a level sandy or mossy tract, now covered by the sea, but which is said to have been formerly the site of a forest."
"GLENCAPLE QUAY, a post village and minor port in the parish of Caerlaverock, county Dumfries, Scotland, 4 miles S. of Dumfries. It is situated on the left bank near the mouth of the river Nith, 6 miles from the Criffel mountain range, and 2½ from the ancient ruins of Caerlayerock Castle. Glencaple presents a neat and busy appearance, and is surrounded by many delightful prospects and objects of antiquarian interest. Its trade is almost entirely devoted to shipping, being a port town subordinate to Dumfries."
"GREENMILL, a village in the parish of Caerlaverock, county Dumfries, Scotland, 5 miles S.E. of Dumfries. It is situated on the Lochar Water, and contains the parish church."
"KELTON, a village and small subport to Dumfries, on the borders of the parishes of Dumfries and Caerlaverock, county Dumfries, Scotland, 1½ mile N. of Glencaple. It stands on the left bank of the Nith. Shipbuilding is carried on."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]