"CLOSEBURN, a parish in the district of Nithsdale, in the county of Dumfries, Scotland. It is bounded on the N. by Lanarkshire, and extends southward 10 miles, between the rivers Nith and Ae, with an extreme breadth of 8 miles. The land near the Nith is fertile, but a large portion of the surface is moorland. Amongst the most remarkable natural features is the waterfall called the Grey Mare's Tail, some 90 feet in height with Crichup Linn, lower down the same hill-side. Lime has been extensively burnt here since 1772. Closeburn Castle a very ancient fortified tower, formerly belonging to the Kirkpatricks, is still inhabited. Closeburn Hall, a splendid Grecian building, is the most remarkable edifice in the parish. The village of Closeburn stands 3 miles S.E. of Thornhill. This parish is in the presbytery of Penpont, and in the patronage of Baird of Closeburn. The minister has a stipend of £235. Wallacehall School, founded in 1723 by a Glasgow merchant, is free to the children of parishioners. There are also private schools and a Free church."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]