DORNOCK[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"DORNOCK, a parish in the district of Annandale, in the county of Dumfries, Scotland. It contains the villages of Dornock and Lowtherton. With the exception of a small part, lying half a mile to the N. of the main body, it is bounded on the N.E. by Kirkpatrick-Fleming, on the E. by Gretna, on the S. by the Solway Firth, and on the W. and N.W. by Annan. Its extreme length is 4 miles, with a breadth of 22 miles. The soil is in general a fertile loam, and almost the whole surface is enclosed and well cultivated. Freestone is abundant. The coast is low and sandy, and large quantities of salmon and flounders are caught by means of stake nets. The Solway is here 2 miles wide, and fordable at low water. Among the antiquities may be mentioned the remains of a Roman road, and a Druidical circle. The road from Dumfries to Carlisle, and the Glasgow and South-Western railway, traverse the parish. There is a station here on the latter, and also easy access to the Caledonian railway at the Kirkpatrick station. The village of Dornock, a small unimportant place, stands on the road from Dumfries to Carlisle, 3 miles W. of Annan. This parish is in the presbytery of Annan, and synod of Dumfries, and in the patronage of the Duke of Buccleuch. The minister has a stipend of £208."
- The transcription of the section for Dornock from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.