DURISDEER[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"DURISDEER, a parish in the district of Nithsdale, in the county of Dumfries, Scotland, 6 miles N. of Penpoint. The road from Dumfries to Glasgow crosses the parish, as also does the Glasgow and South-Western railway. It is situated on the river Nith, under the Lowthers, and includes Carronbridge. The land chiefly consists of hilly pasture, interspersed with stone and traces of coal. The parish is in the presbytery of Penpoint, and synod of Dumfries and Galloway. The minister's stipend is £221, in the patronage of the Duke of Buccleuch. The village contains the parish church, Free church, and two schools. Vestiges of a Roman camp are found N. of the church. The Duke of Buccleuch is the principal landowner, and possessor of Drumlanrig Castle, which was the seat of the late Duke of Queensberry, whose monument, by Roubilliac, is in the church. On the bank of the Carron is Enoch Linn's Cave."
- The transcription of the section for Durisdeer from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.