"EWES, a parish and post town in county Dumfries, Scotland. The county of Roxburgh bounds it on the N. and E., Canonbie and Langholm on the S., and Westerkirk on the W. Its length is 8 miles, and its greatest breadth about 6 miles. The parish is nearly surrounded by mountains, from whose sides flow numerous streams and burns, tributaries of the rivers Ewes and Tarras, both of which have their sources in this parish. The road from Edinburgh to Carlisle leads through the entire length of the Ewes valley. This parish is in the presbytery of Langholm and synod of Dumfries. The minister has a stipend of £241. The church underwent some alterations in 1831. Ewes has been anciently described as a district of Dumfriesshire called Ewsdale. There are remains of chapels at Unthank and Mosshaul, and an ancient church, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, stood on the Ewes at a place called Kirktown; another church also stood on a spot then known as Ewes-duries. The Duke of Buccleuch is the principal proprietor."