[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"HODDAM, (or Headholm), a parish in the district of Annandale, county Dumfries, Scotland, 4 miles N. of Annan. It contains Ecclefechan, a post town and railway station. It is 5 miles long by 2½ broad, and is bounded by Tundergarth, Middlebie, Annan, Cummertrees, and St. Mungo. The surface is hilly, but the soil in general rich and well cultivated. Brunswark Hill is the most remarkable summit, rising to an altitude of 740 feet above sea level. It has two encampments of great antiquity, and commands a most magnificent view. The river Annan traces a considerable part of the S. and S.W. border, and receives the tribute of the streams Milk and Mien. This parish is in the presbytery of Annan and synod of Dumfries. The minister has a stipend of £259. The church was built in 1817. There are Free and United Presbyterian churches at Ecclefechan, and also three private and one parish school. The parish of Hoddam is made up of the old parishes of Hoddam, Ecclefechan, and Luce, united in 1609. In records of the 12th century the name is found spelt Hod-horn-Anglo-Saxon words, meaning the "head of the holm." The ancient church and hamlet of Hoddamtown belonged to the Bishop of Glasgow, and stood on the E. bank of the Annan. The ancient castle of Hoddam stood at a spot called Hallguards; it was replaced by another commenced by Lord Herries in 1437, on the opposite side of the Annan, so that Hoddam Castle is really without the parish limits. Sand and limestone prevail, and there is an abundance of clayslate and ironstone-clay."
"BRYDEKIRK, a village and quoad sacra parish in the parishes of Annan, Cummertrees, and Hoddam, in the county of Dumfries, Scotland, 3 miles to the N. W. of the town of Annan. The living is in the presbytery of Annan, and in the gift of the subscribers and others."
"ECCLESFECHAN, a quondam parish, post and market village in the parish of Hoddam, Annandale, county Dumfries, Scotland, 13 miles E. of Dumfries, and 73 from Edinburgh. It is a station on the Caledonian railway. The village is situated near the Mein Water and Hoddam. Here are a Free and an United Presbyterian church, a chapel, market-house, and a distillery. Monthly and weekly markets are held. Gingham weaving is carried on."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]