"HUTTON, (and Corrie) a parish in the Annandale district of county Dumfries, Scotland, 6 miles N.E. of Lockerby, its post town. Its length is 13 miles, and its average breadth 3 miles. Its boundaries are Moffat, Eskdalemuir, Westerkirk, Tundergarth, Dryfesdale, Applegarth, and Wamphray. The surface is hilly, the greater portion consisting of extensive tracts of pasture. The Dryfe-water has its source in the northern part of the parish. The Corrie-water also rises in the parish on the eastern border, and the Nielk-water passes along the S. and S.E. This parish is in the presbytery of Lochmaben, and synod of Dumfries. The minister has a stipend of £260. The church was erected about 1710, and was enlarged some fifty years later. Hutton is the northern and Corrie the southern portion of the united parish. The two districts were incorporated in 1609. Hutton was formerly a chapelry subordinate to the old church of Sibbaldbye. The patronage and lands of Corrie were held in the 12th century by a vassal of Robert do Bruce. In the reign of James V. it came to the Johnstones, and was lately purchased from that family by Jardine of Lawrick. Among other remains, ancient forts are observed, one on the summit of Carthur Hill, and another on the opposite bank of the Dryfe-water. Galloway cattle and Cheviot sheep are reared among the hills, and trout abounds in the streams."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]