JOHNSTONE - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"JOHNSTONE, a parish in the Annandale district of county Dumfries, Scotland, 6 miles N.N.W. of Lockerby. It contains the post-office village of Johnstone Bridge. The parish extends between the rivers Annan and Kinnell, and consists of a middling soil, with some oak timber. It is generally flat, the highest ground being in the W. of the parish It is 5 miles long by three broad. It is traversed by the roads from Glasgow to London, and from Dumfries to Edinburgh. The Caledonian canal passes on the E. border. This parish is in the presb, of Lochmaben and synod of Dumfries. The minister has a stipend of £166. The church was erected in 1733, and has subsequently been enlarged. There are also a Free church, three schools, and two libraries. Raehills is the seat of the Johnstones, who have held the land from time immemorial. At the N. end of the parish stand the ruins of Lochwood Castle, the ancient seat of the lords of Annandale, supposed to have been built in the 14th century. Robert, natural brother to Lord John Maxwell, set fire to the castle in 1593. It was restored and occupied up to 1724. Lead ore exists, and sandstone is worked."
"DUMGREE, a quondam parish in the district of Annandale, in the county of Dumfries, Scotland. The greater part of it was joined to Kirkpatrick-Juxta, and the remainder to Johnstone."
"MOULINE, an ancient parish, now joined to Johnston, county Dumfries, Scotland."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]