[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"KEIR, a parish in the district of Nithsdale, county Dumfries, Scotland, 1 mile S.E. of Penpont. Thornhill is its post town. It is 8 miles long and about 2 broad, and is environed by Penpont, Closeburn, Kirkmahoe, Dunscore, Glencairn, and Tynron. The river Scaur traces part of the N. and N.E. border, and the river Nith flows from the N.E. to S.E. Keir Hill is a prominent summit on the S.W. side of the parish. The Glasgow and South-Western railway has a station within the parochial limits at Auldgirth Bridge, and the Dumfries and Penpont road traverses the interior. This parish is in the presbytery of Penpont and synod of Dumfries. The minister has a stipend of £233. The church was built in 1814. Capenoch, Blackwood, and Barjarg, are the principal mansions: Limestone is quarried, and sandstone is very abundant."
"BARJARG, a village in the parish of Keir, in the county of Dumfries, Scotland, 6 miles from Minnyhive."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]