[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"KIRKMAHOE, a parish in county Dumfries, Scotland, 3 miles N. of Dumfries. It is situated on the river Nith, and comprises the villages of Duncow, Dalswinton, and Kirkmahoe, or Kirkton. The Holywood and Auldgirth stations of the Glasgow and South-Western line are in the neighbourhood of this parish. It is 7½ miles long by 5½ at its broadest part. Its surface is hilly, and about 10,000 acres are arable. In the neighbourhood are several streamlets. The parish is in the presbytery and synod of Dumfries. The minister's stipend is £238. The parish church is a modern Gothic structure. Here also is a Free church. There are parochial and other schools. The chief seats are Milnhead, Dalswinton, and Carnsalloch. Vestiges of old forts and tumuli are scattered about the parish."
"DALSWINTON, a village and estate in the parish of Kirkmahoe, in the county of Dumfries, Scotland. The village stands near the Nith, 7½ miles N.N.W. of Dumfries. The estate comprises about 5,000 imperial acres, or about one-third of the parish. It belonged anciently to the Comyns, and afterwards to the Stewarts and Maxwells, passing in the latter part of last century into the hands of Patrick Miller, Esq., who erected an elegant mansion on the site of the ruined castle of the Comyns. It was on a lake here that Miller, in 1788, launched the first steamboat ever attempted."
"DUNCOW, a village in the parish of Kirkmahoe, in the county of Dumfries, Scotland. It is situated on the road front Tinwald to Auldgirth Bridge, 5 miles N. of Dumfries."
"GLENCROSS, a village in the parish of Kirkmahoe, in county Dumfries, Scotland, 9 miles N. of Dumfries."
"KIRKTON, a village in the parish of Kirkmahoe, county Dumfries, Scotland, 4 miles N. of Dumfries."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]