KIRKMAHOE[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"KIRKMAHOE, a parish in county Dumfries, Scotland, 3 miles N. of Dumfries. It is situated on the river Nith, and comprises the villages of Duncow, Dalswinton, and Kirkmahoe, or Kirkton. The Holywood and Auldgirth stations of the Glasgow and South-Western line are in the neighbourhood of this parish. It is 7½ miles long by 5½ at its broadest part. Its surface is hilly, and about 10,000 acres are arable. In the neighbourhood are several streamlets. The parish is in the presbytery and synod of Dumfries. The minister's stipend is £238. The parish church is a modern Gothic structure. Here also is a Free church. There are parochial and other schools. The chief seats are Milnhead, Dalswinton, and Carnsalloch. Vestiges of old forts and tumuli are scattered about the parish."
- The transcription of the section for Kirkmahoe from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.