[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"KIRKMICHAEL, a parish in county Dumfries, Scotland, 8 miles N. of Dumfries, its post town. It comprises the ancient parish of Kirkmichael, and a part of the ancient parish of Garvald. The length of the parish is 9 miles, and its breadth is 4½. About one half of the whole area is hilly sheep-walk, one-third arable, and the rest plantation. There are two mountain ranges, rising in some places to 1,000 and 1,500 feet above sea-level. The parish is watered by the river Ae, the Kinnel Water, and the Garvald and Glenkiln burns. It is in the presbytery of Lochmaben and synod of Dumfries. The minister's stipend is £246. The church was erected in 1815. Many remains of ancient fortifications and Roman roads are visible in this district. There is a small fort on an eminence in the Knockwood, known as Wallace's House, near which are stones marking the spot where that hero killed six Englishmen. Kirkmichael House is the chief seat in the neighbourhood. More than half the parish belongs to the Duke of Buccleuch."
"TARRELL, an ancient parish, county Dumfries, Scotland, now joined to Kirkmichael."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]