[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"KIRKPATRICK-FLEMING, a parish and village in county Dumfries, Scotland, 6 miles N.E. of Annan, and 7 S.E. of Ecclefechan. It contains the villages of Newton and Hollee, and the post-office village of its own name, the latter being a railway station on the Caledonian line. Its length is 6 miles, and its greatest breadth 5. About two-thirds of the lands are in tillage, The parish is watered by the Black Sark stream and the Kirtle-water. Here are four mineral springs famed for their medicinal properties, and resorted to by invalids. Limestone, sandstone freestone, and marble, are quarried. The parish is in the presbytery of Annan and synod of Dumfries. The minister's stipend is £226. The parish church, erected in 1778, is a commodious structure. The ancient church was given to the monks of Guiseburn by Robert Bruce. There are also a Free church, two parochial schools, and the union poorhouse. The chief seats are Mossknow, Lankshaw, Cove, Wyesbie, Kirkpatrick, and Sprinkell. This last, the residence of Sir J. H. Maxwell, Bart., is a Grecian structure. The present parish of Kirkpatrick-Fleming includes the ancient parishes of Kirkconnel, Kirkpatrick, and Irvine. It received the adjunct to its name from the ancient family of Fleming, who possessed several towers on the border. The old tower of Woodhouse, which is still standing, is said to have given shelter to Robert Bruce. Near the tower is the Cross of Merkland, an octagonal stone 9 feet high, and finely sculptured. It is supposed to have been erected in 1483 to commemorate a base murder perpetrated on a member of the family of Maxwell. There are several tumuli in the neighbourhood. Sir John H. Maxwell Bart., and William Graham, Esq., are the principal landowners."
"FAIRYHALL, a village in the parish of Kirkpatrick Fleming, county Dumfries, Scotland, 4 miles E. of Ecclesfechan."
"HOLLEE, a villages nearly connected with Fairyhall, in the parish of Kirkpatrick Fleming, county Dumfries, Scotland."
"NEWTON, a village in the parish of Kirkpatrick-Fleming, county Dumfries, 7 miles W. by N. of Longtown. It is of recent origin."
"IRVING, an ancient parish now joined to Kirkpatrick-Fleming, county Dumfries, Scotland."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]