Report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for MORTON - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

MORTON - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"MORTON, a parish in the district of Nithsdale, county Dumfries, Scotland. It comprises Thornhill, a burgh of barony, and the larger portion of the village of Carronbridge. It extends in length about 7 miles from S. to N., with an extreme breadth of 4 miles, and is bounded on the N.E. by the county of Lanark, and on the other sides by the parishes of Closeburne, Penpont, and Durrisdeer. The surface is of a hilly nature, and comprises both pastoral and arable land. Where cultivated it is well enclosed and fertile. The lower district is traversed by the road from Glasgow to Dumfries, and by the Glasgow and South-Western railway. The village of Morton is distant 3 miles N.E. of Penpont, and within easy access of the Carron-bridge and Thornhill station on the Glasgow and South-Western railway. It is watered by the rivers Nith, Cample, and Carron; and near a small tributary of the Cample stand the ruins of Morton Castle, which belonged to Randolph in the reign of Robert Bruce. The ruins cover a space of 100 ft. by 30 ft. in area, and include parts of the corner towers, and the S. wall between 30 ft. and 40 ft. in height. The castle passed from the Randolphs to the Douglases, who take from hence the title of earl. This parish is in the presbytery of Penpont, and synod of Dumfries. The minister has a stipend of £236. The parish church was erected in 1841; and at Thornhill is an United Presbyterian church. There are a parochial school, and several district schools."

"CARRONBRIDGE, a village in the parishes of Durisdeer and Morton, in the county of Dumfries, Scotland, 18 miles to the N. of Dumfries. It is seated on Carron Water, a feeder of the river Nith, and is a station on the Glasgow and South-Western railway."

"THORNHILL, a village and burgh of barony in the parish of Morton, county Dumfries, Scotland, 7 miles N.E. of Minniehive, and 14 N.W. of Dumfries. It is a station on the Glasgow and South-Western railway. It is situated on the river Nith, and on the road from Glasgow to Dumfries. The surface is from 200 to 300 feet above sea-level. The town is well built and lighted with gas. There are three branch banks, a savings-bank, library, Freemasons' hall, tannery, and brewery, and a cross built by the Duke of Queensberry. There is an United Presbyterian church. Fairs are held on the second Tuesdays in February. May, August, and November, old style, on the last Friday in June, and on the third Tuesday in September."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]