MORTON[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"MORTON, a parish in the district of Nithsdale, county Dumfries, Scotland. It comprises Thornhill, a burgh of barony, and the larger portion of the village of Carronbridge. It extends in length about 7 miles from S. to N., with an extreme breadth of 4 miles, and is bounded on the N.E. by the county of Lanark, and on the other sides by the parishes of Closeburne, Penpont, and Durrisdeer. The surface is of a hilly nature, and comprises both pastoral and arable land. Where cultivated it is well enclosed and fertile. The lower district is traversed by the road from Glasgow to Dumfries, and by the Glasgow and South-Western railway. The village of Morton is distant 3 miles N.E. of Penpont, and within easy access of the Carron-bridge and Thornhill station on the Glasgow and South-Western railway. It is watered by the rivers Nith, Cample, and Carron; and near a small tributary of the Cample stand the ruins of Morton Castle, which belonged to Randolph in the reign of Robert Bruce. The ruins cover a space of 100 ft. by 30 ft. in area, and include parts of the corner towers, and the S. wall between 30 ft. and 40 ft. in height. The castle passed from the Randolphs to the Douglases, who take from hence the title of earl. This parish is in the presbytery of Penpont, and synod of Dumfries. The minister has a stipend of £236. The parish church was erected in 1841; and at Thornhill is an United Presbyterian church. There are a parochial school, and several district schools."
- The transcription of the section for Morton from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.