Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for PENPONT - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

PENPONT - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"PENPONT, a parish in the district of Nithsdale, county Dumfries, Scotland. It comprises a village of the same name. The parish extends in length about 14 miles from S.E. to N.W., with a breadth of about 3 miles. It is bounded on the W. by the county of Kirkcudbright, and on other sides by the parishes of Lanquhar, Durisdeer, Morton, Keir, and Tynron. The surface, which is hilly, attains its greatest altitude at Cairnkinna, which rises 2,086 feet above sea-level. Near to the Cairnkinna mountain is the craig of Glenquhargen, which rises perpendicularly 1,000 feet, and is considered one of the greatest natural wonders of Scotland. There is a considerable extent of mountain pasture, but many spots are in an excellent state of cultivation. Plantations abound in various parts of the parish. White and red sandstone are abundant, and whinstone is quarried to some extent. There are also traces of lead and coal. The numerous brooks are well stocked with salmon, trout, and other fish. The southern border of the parish is traversed by the road from Thornhill to Minniehive, and a short distance to the S.E. are the Thornhill and Carron-bridge railway stations. The village of Penpont is about 2 miles S.W. of Thornhill, and 15 N. of Dumfries. It is situated on the rivers Nith and Skarr, the latter river being crossed by a modern bridge built on the site of a more ancient one which was removed in 1801. The village consists of three parts, distinguished as Penpont-Proper, Townhead of Penpont, and Briarbush. At the confluence of Parkburn with the Neith are traces of Tibber's Castle, which was taken from the English by Sir William Wallace. In the neighbourhood are a Roman causeway, two moats, an obelisk, several cairns, &c. This parish is the seat of a presbytery in the synod of Dumfries. The minister has a stipend of £256. The parish church was erected in 1782, and stands within the village of Penpont. There are also a Free church, and a Reformed Presbyterian church, also an United Presbyterian church at Burnhead. There are two parochial schools and two other schools."

"BURNHEAD, a village in the parish of Penpont, in the county of Dumfries, Scotland, 1¼ mile W. of Thornhill. Here is an United Presbyterian church."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]