TINWALD - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"TINWALD, a parish in the district of Nithsdale, county Dumfries, Scotland. It contains the villages of Amisfield, Kirkland, and Townland, and part of the ancient parish of Trailflat. It extends in length about 5 miles from S. to N., with an extreme breadth of 4- miles, and is bounded by Kirkmahoe, Kirkmichael, Lochmaben, Torthorwald, and Dumfries. The surface is moderately flat, and was formerly wooded. Its northern part is watered by the river Ae. The prevailing rocks are greywacke and greywacke-slate. On Barshall Hill is a British fort. The parish is traversed by the road from Dumfries to Moffat. The village, which is about 4 miles N. of Dumfries, is situated on the Ae and Lochar Waters, and on the old Roman way to Brunswark. Paterson, the projector of the banks of England and Scotland, and of the Darien expedition, was bola at Skipmire Farm in 1660. This parish is in the presbytery and synod of Dumfries. The stipend of the minister is about 250. The parish church was erected in 1763. There are two parochial schools. The principal seats are Tinwald House, Amisfield, and Glenae."

"AMISFIELD, a village in the parish of Tinwald, in the county of Dumfries, Scotland, 4 miles to the N.E. of Dumfries. It is situated on the river Lochar, and is chiefly interesting for an old baronial tower, the most perfect of the kind in Scotland. It is square and slender, and has a curiously carved door, opening into one of the apartments, which are constructed one above another, and communicate by a narrow stair. It formerly belonged to the Anglo-Norman family of Charteris, or Chartres, but was conveyed by the marriage of the only daughter of Colonel Charteris to the noble family of Wemyss, who also possess the mansion of the same name on the banks of the Tyne, in the parish and county of Haddington. James I. visited it in 1617. The village has also some remains of an ancient fort, which was probably a Roman station."

"KIRKLAND OF TINWALD, a village in the parish of Tinwald, county Dumfries, Scotland, 4 miles N.E. of Dumfries."

"SHIELDHILL, a hamlet in the parish of Tinwald, county Dumfries, Scotland, 3 miles from Lochmaben, and 6 N.E. of Dumfries. It is a station on the Lockerbie and Dumfries branch of the Caledonian railway."

"TRAILFLAT, a village in the parish of Tinwald, county Dumfries, Scotland, 2 mile N.E. of Lochmaben, and 6 N. of Dumfries. It is situated on the E. border of the parish, and was once a separate parish. Here are traces of the Roman road from Brunswick. In the vicinity is a bleach-field."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)