Link to maps of Tinwald


[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"TINWALD, a parish in the district of Nithsdale, county Dumfries, Scotland. It contains the villages of Amisfield, Kirkland, and Townland, and part of the ancient parish of Trailflat. It extends in length about 5 miles from S. to N., with an extreme breadth of 4- miles, and is bounded by Kirkmahoe, Kirkmichael, Lochmaben, Torthorwald, and Dumfries. The surface is moderately flat, and was formerly wooded. Its northern part is watered by the river Ae. The prevailing rocks are greywacke and greywacke-slate. On Barshall Hill is a British fort. The parish is traversed by the road from Dumfries to Moffat. The village, which is about 4 miles N. of Dumfries, is situated on the Ae and Lochar Waters, and on the old Roman way to Brunswark. Paterson, the projector of the banks of England and Scotland, and of the Darien expedition, was bola at Skipmire Farm in 1660. This parish is in the presbytery and synod of Dumfries. The stipend of the minister is about 250. The parish church was erected in 1763. There are two parochial schools. The principal seats are Tinwald House, Amisfield, and Glenae."


Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)