"TUNDERGARTH, a parish in the district of Annandale, county Dumfries, Scotland. It extends in length about 12 miles, with a varying breadth of from 1 to 2 miles, and is bounded on the N.W. by the parishes of St. Mungoe, Dryfesdale, Hatton, and Corrie; on the N.E. by Westerkirk; on the S.E. by Langholm, Middlebie, and Hoddam; and on the S.W. by St. Mungo. The surface is moderately even, the two principal summits being Crive and Grange Fell, which rise about 900 feet above sea-level. The land is chiefly in pasture, supporting numerous flocks of Cheviot sheep and black cattle. The interior is watered by numerous streams falling into Milk Water, which traces the greater part of the W. boundary. The predominant rocks are graywacke, mica-schist, clay slate, and greenstone. There are also traces of lead and antimony. In the vicinity are many small entrenched camps and other antiquities. The village of Tundergarth is about 3 miles E. of Lockerby, and within easy access to that station on the Caledonian railway. It is situated on Milk Water, near the Roman way to Brunswark Hill. Here was formerly an old castle of the Johnstones. This parish is in the presbytery of Lochmaben and synod of Dumfries. The stipend of the minister is about £166. The parish church was erected about 1770. There is a parochial school. The principal seats are Grange, Scroggs, and Gibsons."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]