"TYNRON, a parish in the district of Nithsdale, county Dumfries, Scotland. It extends in length 9½ miles from S.E. to N.W., with an extreme breadth of 3½ miles, and is bounded on the W. by Kirkcudbrightshire, and on the other sides by the parishes of Penpont, Keir, and Glencairn. The surface is hilly, its greatest altitudes being Lamgarrock and Coremilligan hills, which rise. 1,800 feet above sea-level. The soil is generally sandy, and the predominant rock graywacke, but clay slate also exists and was formerly worked. The Doon of Tynron, a pyramidal hill, towering upon the peninsula formed by the river a Skarr and Shinnel, forms a striking feature in the landscape, and has on its summit traces of a fort. The village of Tynron-Kirk, which is about 2 miles N. of Minniehive and 3 from Penpont, is situated on the rivers Shinnel and Skarr, and on the Minniehive road. This parish is in the presbytery of Penpont and synod of Dumfries. The stipend of the minister is about £234. The parish church was erected in 1837. There is a parochial school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]