WAMPHRAY[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"WAMPHRAY, a parish in the district of Annandale, county Dumfries, Scotland. It extends in length about 6½ miles from N. to S., with an extreme breadth of 3½ miles, and is bounded by Moffat on the N., by Hutton and Corrie on the E., by Applegarth on the S., and on the W. by the river Annan, which separates it from Johnstone and Kirkpatrick-Juxta. The surface is hilly, abounding in sheep-walks, but near the river there is a considerable extent of good arable land. The prevailing rocks are graywacke and Old Red sandstone. The parish is traversed by the road from Glasgow to Carlisle and by the Caledonian railway, on which it has a station. The village of Wamphray is about 18 miles N.E. of Dumfries, and 58 from Edinburgh. It is situated on the Wamphray Water, which rises near Loch Fell, and flows 7 miles to the river Annan, forming in its course three cascades, respectively named the Pot, the Washingpan, and Dab's Cauldron. In this parish are traces of a Roman road, also a Druidical circle, several camps and pillar-stones. This parish is in the presbytery of Lochmaben and synod of Dumfries. The stipend of the minister is about £199. There are also an United Presbyterian church and a parochial school. The principal seats are Girthhead, Millhouses, and Stenries Hill."
- The transcription of the section for Wamphray from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.