-->

Bonhill

"BONHILL, town and parish in Dumbartonshire. The parish contains also the towns of Alexandria and Jamestown, and the villages of Balloch, Dalvault, and Mill of Halden, and it comprises the upper half of the Vale of Leven, and extends about 3 miles across the foot of Loch Lomond. Acres, 8373... Pop., quoad civilia, 12,524; quoad sacra, 2983. The surface abounds in both natural beauty and artificial embellishment. 9 large print works are within its vale; and Tillichewan Castle, Bonhill Place, Levenfield, Bromley, Balloch Castle, Cameron House, Belretiro, Arden, and other mansions are chief residences. Churches are in Alexandria and Jamestown. There are 2 public schools for 1481 scholars, and 1 of them and an enlargement for 967 are new."

From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.


Church Records

The parish church records are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries.

Records in the old parish registers (OPRs) for Bonhill parish span the following years:

Births or Baptisms ~ 1676-1854
Marriages or Banns ~ 1676-1854
Deaths or Burials ~ no records

Civil Registration

Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For details of these and other records held at the General Register Office in Edinburgh, see the GRO tutorial.

Description and Travel

Gazetteers

Historical Geography

Maps


Return to top of page u_arrow


Are you lost in the Genuki hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to move up the hierarchy.

URL of this page : http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/DNB/Bonhill/index.shtml