Cardross

"CARDROSS, village and parish on north side of the Clyde in Dumbartonshire. The parish contains also Renton town and part of Dumbarton, and is 7¾ miles long and 2¼ miles broad. Acres, 8264. Pop., quoad civilia, 9365; quoad sacra, 1342. The surface includes the fine wooded promontory of Ardmore, rises gradually from the Clyde and the Leven, and is bordered by a hill- ridge with extreme altitude of 943 feet. The seats are Ardmore, Keppoch, Bloomhill, and Camus-Eskan; and a spot of great antiquarian interest is the site of the castle in which King Robert Bruce died. There are public schools for 694 scholars, and enlargements of them for 460 are new."

[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]


Church Records

Records in the old parish registers (OPRs) for Cardross parish span the following years:

Births or Baptisms ~ 1681-1854
Marriages or Banns ~ 1687-1854
Deaths or Burials ~ no records

Civil Registration

Description and Travel

Gazetteers

Historical Geography

Maps



GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI Copyright © 2011 GENUKI
[Last updated Saturday, 11-Oct-2014 21:58:54 BST by David McFarlane]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.