"CUMBERNAULD, town and parish in detached district of Dumbartonshire. The parish contains also the village of Condorrat and the hamlet of Croy. Its length is about 8 miles; its greatest breadth about 4 miles; its area 11,635 acres...Pop., quoad civilia, 4270; quoad sacra, inclusive of 81 in Falkirk parish, 4351. The surface is mostly a fine diversity of small hills and fertile dales, but includes Fannyside Moor. Coal, lime, ironstone, and sandstone are extensively worked. Cumbernauld House is a chief feature, but was almost destroyed by fire in 1877. The antiquities are traces of Antoninus' Wall and vestiges of a Roman road. An Established church is at Condorrat. There are 3 schools for 767 scholars, and 2 of them for 520 are new. Cumbernauld station is on the Caledonian railway, and has also a post office under Glasgow."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]