Cumbernauld

"CUMBERNAULD, town and parish in detached district of Dumbartonshire. The parish contains also the village of Condorrat and the hamlet of Croy. Its length is about 8 miles; its greatest breadth about 4 miles; its area 11,635 acres...Pop., quoad civilia, 4270; quoad sacra, inclusive of 81 in Falkirk parish, 4351. The surface is mostly a fine diversity of small hills and fertile dales, but includes Fannyside Moor. Coal, lime, ironstone, and sandstone are extensively worked. Cumbernauld House is a chief feature, but was almost destroyed by fire in 1877. The antiquities are traces of Antoninus' Wall and vestiges of a Roman road. An Established church is at Condorrat. There are 3 schools for 767 scholars, and 2 of them for 520 are new. Cumbernauld station is on the Caledonian railway, and has also a post office under Glasgow."

[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]


Church Records

for Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world.

Records in the old parish registers (OPRs) for Cumbernauld parish span the following years:

Births or Baptisms ~ 1688-1854
Marriages or Banns ~ 1689-1769 and 1783-1854
Deaths or Burials ~ 1798-1800

Civil Registration

Description and Travel

Gazetteers

Historical Geography

Maps


Return to top of page u_arrow


Are you lost in the Genuki hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to move up the hierarchy.

URL of this page : http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/DNB/Cumbernauld/index.shtml



GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI Copyright © 2011 GENUKI
[Last updated Tuesday, 22-Jul-2014 17:45:56 BST by David McFarlane]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.