"GARELOCHHEAD, village and quoad sacra parish in Dumbartonshire. The village stands at head of Gareloch, 7½ miles north-west of Helensburgh, and has a post office, with money order and telegraph departments, under Helensburgh, a hotel, a steamboat pier, Established and Free churches, and a public school with about 98 scholars. Pop. of the village, 419; of the quoad sacra parish, 733."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]