"KILMARONOCK, parish lying across foot of Loch Lomond, Dumbartonshire. It contains Drymen and Caldarvan railway stations and extends from Endrick river to vicinity of Balloch, and its post town is Alexandria. Its length is 7¼ miles; its greatest breadth full 5 miles; its area 10,325 acres... Pop. 927. The eastern section is hilly and partly moorish but the western section is low, arable and embellished. The seats are Buttrich Castle, Ross Priory, Caldarvan and Catter; and a spot of antiquarian interst is the site of a Culdee cell, founded by Maronnanor Maronoch, afterwards a nunnery, noticed by Sir Walter Scott's Lady of the Lake as 'Maronnan's cell.' The churches are Established and United Presbyterian. There are 2 schools for 172 scholars, and 1 of them for 80 is new."

From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.

"KILMARONOCK is a small parish adjoining that of Bonhill, and is situated a little to the north-east of that village. It contains nothing worthy of note but the parish church and Board school. An United Presbyterian church and school are likewise in the parish. Popularion in 1871, 978."

From Slater's Directory, 1878.

Church Records

Records in the old parish registers (OPRs) for Kilmaronock parish span the following years:

Births or Baptisms ~ 1686-1854
Marriages or Banns ~ 1703-1854
Deaths or Burials ~ no records

Civil Registration

Description and Travel


Historical Geography


GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI Copyright © 2011 GENUKI
[Last updated Thursday, 02-Jul-2015 20:44:27 BST by David McFarlane]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.