"KIRKINTILLOCH, town and parish in detached section of Dumbartonshire.... The parish contains also Waterside village and part of Lenzie town, measures 6¾ by nearly 3½ miles, and comprises 7146 acres. ... Pop., quoad civilia 10,591; quoad sacra, 5356. The surface is nearly all a very gentle slope with northern exposure. Coal abounds and is extensively mined. Ironstone, limestone, and sandstone also are plentiful. The residences include several handsome mansions and many fine villas; and the antiquities include traces of Antoninus' Wall, the site of a castle of the Comyns, and Banheath Tower, once a stronghold of the Earls of Kilmarnock. Established, United Presbyterian, and Episcopalian churches are at Lenzie. Seven schools for 1610 scholars are in the parish, and 2 of them for 750 are new." ...
".... The town stands on Forth and Clyde Canal, adjacent to Kelvin river, 8¼ miles north-east of Glasgow; sprang from a strong fort on Antoninus' Wall, and retains a moundish remnant of it; possessed importance in the time of William the Lion; presents now the dingy appearance of a place of mere manufacture and traffic; was designed, about the end of 1879, to undergo some cleansing improvement; and has a post office, with all departments, under Glasgow, a railway station, 2 banking offices, a court-house, 2 Established churches, 2 Free churches, United Presbyterian, Original Secession and Methodist churches, and 2 public schools with about 428 scholars. Pop. 7352."
"KIRKINTILLOCH (ST. DAVID), quoad sacra parish with Established and Free churches in Kirkintilloch, Dumbartonshire. Pop. 3786."
From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.