"KIRKINTILLOCH, town and parish in detached section of Dumbartonshire.... The parish contains also Waterside village and part of Lenzie town, measures 6¾ by nearly 3½ miles, and comprises 7146 acres. ... Pop., quoad civilia 10,591; quoad sacra, 5356. The surface is nearly all a very gentle slope with northern exposure. Coal abounds and is extensively mined. Ironstone, limestone, and sandstone also are plentiful. The residences include several handsome mansions and many fine villas; and the antiquities include traces of Antoninus' Wall, the site of a castle of the Comyns, and Banheath Tower, once a stronghold of the Earls of Kilmarnock. Established, United Presbyterian, and Episcopalian churches are at Lenzie. Seven schools for 1610 scholars are in the parish, and 2 of them for 750 are new."

KIRKINTILLOCH (ST. DAVID), quoad sacra parish with Established and Free churches in Kirkintilloch, Dumbartonshire. Pop. 3786."

From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.

Church Records

The parish church records are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world.

Records in the old parish registers (OPRs) for Kirkintilloch parish span the following years:

Births or Baptisms ~ 1656-1854
Marriages or Banns ~ 1656-1710 and 1820-1854
Deaths or Burials ~ 1826-1854

Civil Registration

Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For details of these and other records held at the General Register Office in Edinburgh, see the GRO tutorial.

Description and Travel


Historical Geography


Return to top of page u_arrow

Are you lost in the Genuki hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to move up the hierarchy.

URL of this page : http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/DNB/Kirkintilloch/index.shtml