"KIRKINTILLOCH, town and parish in detached section of Dumbartonshire.... The town stands on Forth and Clyde Canal, adjacent to Kelvin river, 8¼ miles north-east of Glasgow; sprang from a strong fort on Antoninus' Wall, and retains a moundish remnant of it; possessed importance in the time of William the Lion; presents now the dingy appearance of a place of mere manufacture and traffic; was designed, about the end of 1879, to undergo some cleansing improvement; and has a post office, with all departments, under Glasgow, a railway station, 2 banking offices, a court-house, 2 Established churches, 2 Free churches, United Presbyterian, Original Secession and Methodist churches, and 2 public schools with about 428 scholars. Pop. 7352.
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]
- Churches in Kirkintilloch (NS655735):