-->

Luss

"LUSS, village and parish in Dumbartonshire. ... The parish includes a number of the Loch Lomond islands; measures 10¾ miles in length, and, inclusive of the islands, 6½ miles in greatest breadth; and comprises 24,206 acres. ... Pop. 719. The surface includes a considerable flat tract in the south-east, and is elsewhere mainly mountainous, with intersecting glens. Luss glen bisects the northern half, descends 5½ miles eastward to the village, contains and adjoins slate quarries; and is overhung, on the north side, by mountains 2108, 2149, and 2302 feet high; at the head, by mountains 2244 and 2328 feet high; on the south side, by mountains 2338, 2149, and 2158 feet high. The only mansion is Sir James Colquhoun's seat of Rossdhu, and the chief antiquities are a cairn and traces of an ancient fort."

[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]


Church Records

The parish church records are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world.

Records in the old parish registers (OPRs) for Luss parish span the following years:

Births or Baptisms ~ 1698-1854
Marriages or Banns ~ 1698-1854
Deaths or Burials ~ no records

Civil Registration

Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For details of these and other records held at the General Register Office in Edinburgh, see the GRO tutorial.

Description and Travel

Gazetteers

Historical Geography

Maps


Return to top of page u_arrow


Are you lost in the Genuki hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to move up the hierarchy.

URL of this page : http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/DNB/Luss/index.shtml