Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Arngask

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


Description of the parish in 1846

Map showing the location of the parish

"Arngask is a parish in the counties of Fife, Kinross, and Perth, 6 miles from Kinross, containing the villages of Damhead and Duncrivie. The parish is four miles from east to west, and about three from north to south." edited from Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1846.

Since 1891, Arngask parish has been part of Perthshire. Other parish information will be found on the GENUKI Perthshire and Kinross-shire pages.

Towns and Villages

Glenfarg (previously Damhead)

Places in Arngask parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.

Please read the main Fife pages if you have not already done so.

Archives and Libraries

The ScotlandsPlaces website lets users search across national databases by geographical location. It includes, amongst other material,

  • catalogue entries for maps and plans held by the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh; some maps and plans can be viewed
  • photos and details of historical buildings and archaeological sites recorded by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Edinburgh
  • 17th and 18th century tax rolls
  • Ordnance Survey [place] Name Books
  • an opportunity to transcribe thousands of historic documents


There are 2 cemeteries in Arngask parish:

1. Arngask Churchyard (grid ref. NO 139108, GPS: 56.2825 -3.3915 Google map):

  • The pre-1855 monumental inscriptions are listed in Perthshire South Monumental Inscriptions (pre-1855) vol. 1 Lower Strathearn by John Fowler Mitchell & Sheila Mitchell, published by the Scottish Genealogy Society. The older edition is Pre-1855 Monumental Inscriptions in South Perthshire.
  • A CD with photographs of the stones and transcriptions is available from Scottish Monumental Inscriptions or from The Parish Chest.

2. Arngask Cemetery, Glenfarg (grid ref. NO 144104, GPS: 56.278496 -3.384364 Google map):

  • The current lair registers (dating from 1916) are administered by Perth and Kinross Council. The registers for these burial grounds are held at Perth Crematorium. Anyone wishing to have an ancestral search carried out should telephone Burial Enquiries on 01738 446865 or e-mail
  • A CD with photographs of the stones and transcriptions is available from Scottish Monumental Inscriptions or from The Parish Chest.

War memorials can be seen at the Scottish War Memorials Project.


Parish / district reference number for 1841 - 1891 censuses: 404
District reference number for 1901 - 1911 censuses: 328c

Of the original 1841 returns, only those covering the Perthshire and Kinross-shire parts of the parish survive. Those for the Fife part of the parish are missing.

The 1841 and 1851 returns can be searched on the FreeCEN website.

The 1851 census has been indexed by the Tay Valley Family History Society.

Some census records on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family Search Centres around the world.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

  1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891
Arngask 1042699 1042252 103825 103986 203516 208746
(Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints)

Further information on the main Fife page.

Church History

In addition to the parish church, there was a Free Church at Glenfarg.

The Old Statistical Account (written in the 1790s) gives this information about Dissenters:

  • Population in 1790 - 554, Seceders - 152

The New Statistical Account (written in 1841) has this to say:

  • there are 170 families in the parish, 149 belong to the Established Church; and 21, including 82 individuals of all ages, are chiefly connected with the United Secession Church
  • there is no other place of public worship but the parochial church

Information and pictures of the churches at the Scottish Churches website.

Details of church history:

  • Arngask Kirk Session:
The church of Arngask was dedicated to St Columba and prior to the reformation belonged to the Abbey of Cambuskenneth. After the reformation the parish church stood vacant for a time and in 1625 Arngask was united with Strathmiglo. This union however was short lived and was later severed. Arngask was, of old , a parish of very small boundaries, until 1642 that is, when the areas of Easter and Wester Fordell, Paris, Deuglie, Blair, Plaines, Glendye and Glendye Milne were annexed form the parish of Forgandenny and added to Arngask. Arngask parish boundaries were further extended in 1669 when parts of Orwell and Stathmiglo were also annexed to Arngask. The present parish church was built in 1806, enlarged in 1821 and restored in 1879. Glenfarg was united with Arngask in 1943. The united session remained under the name of Arngask and was later linked with Abernethy and Dron in 1979. The kirk session sat within the Presbytery of Kinross and later of Perth.
  • Arngask Free Church Kirk Session, United Free, Glenfarg Church of Scotland
Arngask Free Church was formed at the Disruption and a new church building erected at Glenfarg the following year (rebuilt 1906). It passed successively to the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland, but was reduced in status and then united with Glenfarg as Arngask in 1933. The Church of Scotland charge was in the presbytery of Perth and the synod of Perth and Stirling.

Church Records

Data provided by the  Scottish Archive Network (SCAN)

The Parish Church (Established Church, Church of Scotland):

The original Old Parish Registers (of baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages, and deaths / burials) of the Church of Scotland, which cover the years up to 1854, are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and they can all be consulted there at the National Records of Scotland. The baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages and deaths / burials indexes can be searched at the ScotlandsPeople website. Copies of the register entries may be purchased.

Parish reference number: 404

The Old Parish Registers (OPRs) span the following dates (although there are gaps within these ranges):

Arngask OPR Births / baptisms Proclamations / marriages Deaths / burials / mortcloths
404/1a 1688-1706 1688-1706  1702-1703
404/1b 1707-1726 1707-1726 1707-1726
404/2 1726-1747 1726-1748 1726-1748
404/3 1748-1782 1748-1780 1748-1780
404/4 1783-1819 1780-1819 1780-1819
404/5 1820-1854 1820-1854  1820-1854
(Data supplied by the National Records of Scotland)

The Detailed List of the Old Parochial Registers of Scotland, published 1872, provides this information about the content of the OPRs, including the gaps within them:

B.  (Baptisms), M.  (Proclamations and Marriages), and D.  (Burials and Mortcloth Dues) prior to 1711 intermixed with other matters. B. and M. blank Sept. 1699 - Dec. 1704. No entry of M. Nov. 1730 - July 1732. B. and M. intermixed 1711 - 1747. Separate Record of B. after Jan. 1748. Exc. Jan. 1748 - Jan. 1752, Mothers' names not recorded. From 1711 - 1748, Proclamations and Burials, and Mortcloth Dues, and from 1748, Proclamations and Mortcloth Dues, are intermixed with other matters. There is also, however, a separate Record of Deaths and Burials April 1748 - May 1753 on a leaf at end of vol. 3.

Copies of the registers on microfilm may be consulted in some local libraries and at LDS Family Search Centres around the world. The indexes to baptisms / births and proclamations / marriages can also be searched on the LDS Family Search website or on the IGI on microfiche in local libraries.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

1040148 Item 1 Session book (includes Marriage proclamations, Mortcloth dues), 1829-1855.
1040147 Items 3 - 7 Session book (includes Baptisms, Marriage proclamations), 1686-1711; Baptisms, 1711-1854; Marriages, 1711-1747; Session book (includes Marriage proclamations, Mortcloth dues [burial records]), 1711-1829; Burials, 1748-1753.
(Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints)

Deaths / burials are listed on Fife Family History Society's  Pre-1855 Fife Deaths CD.

Further information on the main Fife page.

Kirk Session records are held at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh. Some Kirk Session material is to be found in the OPR records (404/1-5).

Heritors' Records (HR457) are at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh.

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

  • CH2/485
    Arngask Kirk Session
    Minutes, 1780-1943; Confession of faith and Elder's formula, 1702-1938; Poor's fund minutes, 1827-1845; Baptismal register, 1879-1943; Proclamation register, 1884-1943; Collections, 1875-1890; Communion roll, 1878-1943; Parish magazine, 1943-1957.

Included in the Old Parochial Registers on microfilm and at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh but not online:

  • Arngask Kirk Session
    • 404/1
      Discipline and collections, 1690-1707; minutes, 1707-1726.
    • 404/2
      Minutes, 1726-1748.
    • 404/3
      Minutes, 1748-1780.
    • 404/4
      Accounts and some muinutes, 1781-1820.
    • 404/5
      Poors' accounts, 1823-1855.

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

  • HR/457
    Arngask parish heritors' records
    Minutes, 1773-1817, 1820-1931; Accounts, 1773-1817, 1820-1912; Cash book, 1899-1931; Papers relating to buildings, 1920-1931; Papers relating to transference to Church of Scotland, 1927-1932.

Other Churches:

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

  • CH3/1216
    Arngask Free Church Kirk Session, United Free, Glenfarg Church of Scotland
    Minutes, 1847-1943; Deacons' court minutes, 1847-1943; Communion rolls, 1891-1943; Church rebuilding account, 1906-1907.

The Arngask page of the LDS Family Search Research Wiki has more information about church history and records.

Civil Registration

Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. Full information on the main Fife page.

Registration districts covering this parish:

Registration district number start date end date
Arngask 404 1855 1893
Arngask 328c 1894 1968
Perth 387 1969 1971
Perth 390 1972 2003
Perth & Kinross 390 2004  

Registration districts did not necessarily coincide exactly with parishes. In the 20th century especially, there were frequent changes in registration districts.

Description & Travel

Glenfarg village centre Ordnance Survey Grid Reference GPS Post code Lat. 56°16'41"N
NO 139108 56.278119
PH2 9NW Lon. 3°24'7"W

Surrounding parishes: in Fife: Strathmiglo, in Perthshire: Abernethy, Dron, Forteviot, Forgandenny, in Kinross-shire: Orwell.


Westwood's Parochial Directory for the Counties of Fife and Kinross for 1862 (see also at page 223), and 1866 (see also page 164), are online at Google Books. On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website there is a transcription of the 1862 edition. All listings cover only the parts of the parish which are in Fife and Kinross-shire.


There is a list of places in Arngask parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.

Several old gazetteers are available. They all contain descriptions of the parish and many are also worth searching for entries of places within the parish.

  • David Webster's Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, published 1819, online at Google Books.
  • Fullarton's Topographical, Statistical and Historical Gazetteer of Scotland, published 1842, online at Google Books.
  • Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, published 1846, online at British History Online.
  • Barbieri's Descriptive and Historical Gazetteer of the Counties of Fife, Kinross and Clackmannan, published 1857, is at Google Books.
  • Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-4) and John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887), are on A Vision of Britain (click on "Historical places and writing").
  • Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland(1892-6) on Electric Scotland

Historical Geography

Until 15th May 1891, the parish of Arngask was situated partly in the county of Fife, partly in the county of Kinross and partly in the county of Perth. On that date, various changes to the parish and county boundaries were made and from that date the whole parish of Arngask was included in the county of Perth.

Before 15 May 1891:

in Fife: in Kinross-shire: in Perthshire:
Arngask House Barley Mill Abbotsdeuglie
Balcanquhal House Birniehill Abbotsdeuglie Cottage
Balvaird Smithy Broomhall Berryknowe
Blindwell Calfford Bridge Blairstruie
Burial Ground Candy Blairstruie Cottage
Cemetery Craigfarg Damhead (part)
Conland Damhead (part) Damhead Smithy
Damhead (part) Duncrevie Downhill
Edenhead Duncrevie Cottage Easter Abbotsdeughlie
Foresterseat Duncrevie House Easter Fordel
Gallows Knowe East Blair Eastertown / Easterton
Glenfarg (part) Free Church Fordel
Hays Mill Glendy Mill Fordel Cottage
Letham Glenfarg (part) Glendeughlie
Letham Bridge Hayfield Mill Glenfarg (part)
Letham Cottages Hilton of Crevie Glenfarg Cottage
Manse Hilton of Duncrevie Glenhead Cottage
Muirfield Kandy Hayfield
New Fargie Cottages Langside Letham Bridge
New Fargie Farm Ledgerhead Lochelbank
New Fargie House Lossley Bridge Lustylaw
Newton of Balcanquhal Low Plains Manse (Free Church)
North Conland Plains Middle Deuglie
Old Arngask Church Rashiefauld North Hayfield
Old Fargie Redfordnook Paris Bridge
Old Fargie Cottage Smithyhill Paris Cottage
Old Manse Thievesmill Bridge Scarhill
Pittillock West Blair Wellies / Well Eyes
Prins Pendicle   Wester Abbotsdeuglie
School   Wester Deuglie
Smiths Pendicle   Wester Fordel

After 15 May 1891, all places are in Perthshire.

A Vision of Britain provides historical descriptions, population & housing statistics, historic boundaries and maps.

Land and Property

Details of historic buildings and archaeological sites in this parish held by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Edinburgh, are catalogued at ScotlandsPlaces. In the results, click RCAHMS. Unfortunately, not all entries have digital images.

Valuation rolls:

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

  • VR101
    Valuation Rolls: Fife
    1855-1891, covers the part of the parish in Fife
  • VR105
    Valuation Rolls: Kinross-shire
    1855-1891, covers the part of the parish in Kinross-shire
  • VR113
    Valuation Rolls: Perthshire
    1855-1891, covers the part of the parish in Perthshire; 1892-1975, covers the whole parish
  • IRS78/29-31
    Valuation Office (Scotland): Field Book, 1910-1920: Arngask Parish
    Entries 1-286.
  • IRS124
    Valuation Office (Scotland) maps to accompany the above field books, scale 1/2500, Ordnance Survey sheets for Perthshire.


Historic maps:

Present-day maps:

Military History

War memorials can be seen at the Scottish War Memorials Project.

The parishes of Abernethy, Arngask, Culross and Tulliallan parishes will be included in the Perthshire Milita collection, 1680-1891, located at the Perth and Kinross Council Archive, Perth. Several databases are searchable online.

Names, Geographical

There is an index to the Ordnance Survey Object NameBooks for this parish here.


Fife Deaths Abroad 1855-1900 - a compilation of overseas deaths recorded in Fife newspapers - has been produced by Andrew Campbell of Fife Family History Society. The Society have re-published it in their Publications Series, 28.

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

The relief of paupers after 1845 was carried out by the Parochial Board and later by the Parish Council. Their records are at the Perth and Kinross Council Archive. See Public Records below.


Year Fife Population Kinross-shire Population Perthshire Population Total Population
1755       736
1801  176 184 204 564
1851  282 212  195  689
1901 * boundary changed     593
1951     707

There is a page with census statistics from 1755 to 1961 here.

See also A Vision of Britain and Histpop for population statistics.

Probate Records

Probate records are 'Confirmations' in Scotland.

Prior to 1824, wills, testaments & inventories of residents of Arngask may be found in the Dunkeld Commissariot (CC7),  the St Andrews Commissariot (CC20) or the Edinburgh Commissariot (CC8) records. From 1824, commissary business was conducted by the Sheriff Court of Fife at Cupar (SC20) or Perth Sheriff Court (SC49) At a later date (possibly after 1891) all commissary business was transferred to Perth Sheriff Court. Indexes and finding aids are given on the main Fife page.

Local sources worth searching for deeds include St Andrews Commissary Court, Perth Sheriff Court, and Perth Registers of Deeds. An index to the Perth Register of Deeds, 1566-1811, is online at

Public Records

Parochial Boards and their successors, Parish Councils, administered many local functions including poor relief.

At the Perth and Kinross Council Archive, Perth:

  • CC1/7
    Arngask Parochial Board / Parish Council
    Minute books, etc, 1874-1930.


At the Perth and Kinross Council Archive, Perth:

  • CC1/5/9-146
    Arngask School Board
    Minutes, 1894-1919.
  • Perthshire School Registers of Admission and Withdrawal, 1869-1901, are online at


"Statistical accounts" giving fascinating insights into the local topography and history, social and economic conditions, and even the daily lives of people, were written by the parish ministers in the 1790s and the 1840s. For more information see the main Fife pages


The hearth tax, clock & watch tax, male servants tax, female servants tax, and farm horse tax are all on ScotlandsPlaces.

See also the Early Taxation Records page.