Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Dalgety

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Dalgety

Description of the parish in 1862

"Dalgety parish is bounded by Dunfermline, Beath, Aberdour and Inverkeithing. It is triangular in shape, being about 5 miles from north to south and 3 miles along the shores of the Forth. Coal abounds in the parish and there is an extensive colliery at Fordel, employing nearly half the Population. The present parish church was built in 1830, and there is also a chapel of ease at Mossgreen. Most of the coal is shipped at St David’s, a small harbour in the parish, and is conveyed hither from the pits by means of a small railway. The villages in the parish are St David’s, Fordel, part of Crossgates and part of Hillend." edited from Westwood's Directory for the counties of Fife & Kinross published 1862.

Archives and Libraries

The ScotlandsPlaces website lets users search across national databases by geographical location. It includes, amongst other material,

  • catalogue entries for maps and plans held by the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh; some maps and plans can be viewed
  • photos and details of historical buildings and archaeological sites recorded by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Edinburgh
  • 17th and 18th century tax rolls
  • Ordnance Survey [place] Name Books
  • an opportunity to transcribe thousands of historic documents

Bibliography

A very good description is to be found in the relevant chapter in History of the County of Fife: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time by John M Leighton, published 1840, online at Google Books.

There is a chapter about Dalgety in Mercer's History of Dunfermline, published 1828, is at Google Books.

Cemeteries

There are 4 cemeteries and 1 private burial chapel in Dalgety parish:

1. St Bridget's Churchyard, Four Lums Road, Dalgety Bay (grid ref. NT 169838, GPS: 56.039751 -3.334535 Google map):

  • Robin G K Arnott published St Bridget's Kirk, Dalgety - a Photographic Record in 1989. The inscriptions within it were published by the Fife Family History Society in their Publication 18, Monumental Inscriptions.
  • Pre-1855 monumental inscriptions are in Mitchell & Mitchell (see below).
  • Transcripts of many of the older stones were made by Erskine Beveridge in the 1890s. They are included in Publication 37, Monumental Notes by Erskine Beveridge and Robert Monteith, published by the Fife Family History Society.

2. Dalgety Churchyard, Four Lums Road, Dalgety Bay (grid ref. NT 167845, GPS: 56.046807 -3.338171 Google map):

  • Pre-1855 monumental inscriptions are in Mitchell & Mitchell (see below).
  • The current lair registers (dating from the mid 1800s) are administered by Fife Council, Bereavement Services West, Dunfermline Crematorium, Masterton Road, Dunfermline,KY11 8QR. Tel. 01383 602335. Fax 01383 602665.
  • A CD with photographs of the stones and transcriptions is available from Scottish Monumental Inscriptions or from The Parish Chest.

3. Hillend Cemetery, Clockluine Road, Hillend (grid ref. NT 146842, GPS: 56.043074 -3.371688 Google map):

  • The current lair registers are administered by Fife Council, Bereavement Services West, Dunfermline Crematorium, Masterton Road, Dunfermline,KY11 8QR. Tel. 01383 602335. Fax 01383 602665.
  • A CD with photographs of the stones and transcriptions is available from Scottish Monumental Inscriptions or from The Parish Chest.

4. Mossgreen Cemetery, Coaledge, by Crossgates (grid ref. NT 153887, GPS: 56.083723 -3.361592 Google map):

  • A CD with photographs of the stones and transcriptions is available from Scottish Monumental Inscriptions or from The Parish Chest.
  • The current lair registers (dating from 1947) are administered by Fife Council, Bereavement Services West, Dunfermline Crematorium, Masterton Road, Dunfermline,KY11 8QR. Tel. 01383 602335. Fax 01383 602665.

5. A private burial chapel at Fordell (grid ref. NT 146854, GPS: 56.053416 -3.371983 Google map):

  • Inscriptions in the private chapel at Fordell (largely to the Henderson family of Fordell) are to be found in some copies of the previous edition of the Mitchell book "Monumental inscriptions (pre-1855) in West Fife", but are also held by the Fife Family History Society and the Tay Valley Family History Society.

The pre-1855 monumental inscriptions for Dalgety Churchyard and Dalgety (St Bridget's) Churchyard are listed in Fifeshire Monumental Inscriptions (pre-1855) vol. 2 The western parishes by John Fowler Mitchell & Sheila Mitchell, published by the Scottish Genealogy Society. ISBN 0901061972.

War graves can be seen at the Scottish Wargraves Project and war memorials can be seen at the Scottish War Memorials Project.

Census

Parish / district reference number for 1841 - 1901 censuses: 422

The 1841 and 1851 returns can be searched on theFreeCEN website.

The 1851 census has been indexed by the Tay Valley Family History Society.

Some census records on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family Search Centres around the world.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

  1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891
Dalgety 1042700 1042254 103827 103989 203519 208751
(Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints)

Further information on the main Fife page.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Dalgety area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

The Old Statistical Account (written in the 1790s) gives this information about Dissenters:

  • There is no church [building] but the established one in the parish.
  • The Seceders are mostly Burghers and attend a meeting house in Inverkeithing.

The New Statistical Account (written in 1836) gives this information:

  • No Dissenting meeting house in the parish.
  • Those parishioners who do not attend the Established Church attend a Burgher meeting house either at Inverkeithing or at Crossgates.
  • Crossgates is very conveniently situated for the colliers, being only about a mile distant from most of them.

The 1865 Ecclesiastical Directory lists the parish church and another Established Church at Mossgreen.

Information and pictures of the churches at the Scottish Churches website.

Details of church history:

  • Dalgety Kirk Session:
The original church of Dalgety, the ruins of which still remain standing today, was dedicated to St Bridget and record of the church's existence dates back as far as the year 1178. The St Bridget's church remained in use for worship until the early 19th cent when, due to having fallen into a state of repair no longer considered safe, a new church was erected to replace the ancient building. In 1940, as a result of dwindling numbers within the parish, Dalgety became a linked charge with Aberdour St Fillan's however in 1965 the first houses of the new settlement at Dalgety bay were constructed and the link with Aberdour was dissolved, leaving Dalgety Parish restored once more to full status. As the population of the new town began to expand, the old Dalgety Church became too small and expensive to maintain and so a new parish church was erected in the centre of the town, in 1981. The kirk session sat within the Presbytery of Dunfermline, later of Dunfermline and Kinross and, following the restructuring of the presbyteries in 1976, it became part of the Presbytery of Dunfermline once more.
  • Mossgreen Kirk Session:
A church was built at Mossgreen in 1852 which in 1860 was granted status as a chapel-of-ease. The parish of Mossgreen was subsequently disjoined, quoad sacra, from Aberdour, Dalgety, Inverkeithing and Dunfermline in 1879, with the chapel-of-ease, which had been enlarged two years prior, becoming the Parish Church of Mossgreen. In 1948 Mossgreen established a union with the former United Free Church congregation of Crossgates, under the name of Mossgreen and Crossgates, after the union both churches continued in use alternately and united charge was linked with Cowdenbeath West in 1986. The session of Cowdenbeath Trinity was later formed in 1998 when Mossgreen and Crossgates with Cowdenbeath West united with Cowdenbeath Cairns. The kirk session sat with in the Presbytery of Dunfermline, later of Dunfermline and Kinross and, following the restructuring of the Presbyteries in 1976, it became part of the Presbytery of Dunfermline once again.

Church Records

Data provided by the  Scottish Archive Network (SCAN)

The Parish Church (Established Church, Church of Scotland):

The original Old Parish Registers (of baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages, and deaths / burials) of the Church of Scotland, which cover the years up to 1854, are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and they can all be consulted there at the National Records of Scotland. The baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages and deaths / burials indexes can be searched at the ScotlandsPeople website. Copies of the register entries may be purchased.

Parish reference number: 422

The Old Parish Registers (OPRs) span the following dates (although there are gaps within these ranges):

Dalgety OPR Births / baptisms Proclamations / marriages Deaths / burials / mortcloths
422/1 1644-1650 1644-1707 1697-1709
422/2 1717-1819 1709-1819 1710-1785
422/3 1820-1854 1820-1854 1833-1854
(Data supplied by the National Records of Scotland)
 

The Detailed List of the Old Parochial Registers of Scotland, published 1872, provides this information about the content of the OPRs, including the gaps within them:

B.  blank May 1650 - March 1717. One leaf headed 'Seceders' containing entries 1777 - 1783, after Record for 16th Dec. 1778.
M.  blank 1662 - 1698, from which date there are only entries of Proclamation Fees till Oct. 1717. Only one entry for 1726. Blank July 1794 - May 1797, and July 1804 - May 1811. There are, however, entries relating to irregular Marriages, dated 1741 - 1813, a number of which are applicable to the period blank in the regular Record.
D.  Mortcloth Dues till June 1717, then Deaths to end of Record. Blank March 1748 - March 1750. After Nov. 1785, only nine entries, viz. one for 1817, and eight for period 1833 - 1852.

Copies of the registers on microfilm may be consulted in some local libraries and at LDS Family Search Centres around the world. The indexes to baptisms / births and proclamations / marriages can also be searched on the LDS Family Search website or on the IGI on microfiche in local libraries.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

1040127 Items 3 - 5 Baptisms, 1644-1650, 1717-1854; Session book (includes Marriage proclamations), 1644-1662; Marriages, 1698-1707, 1718-1817, 1784-1840; Mortcloth dues (burial records), 1697-1709; Session book (includes Marriage proclamations and Mortcloth dues), 1709-1717; Burials, 1718- 1785.
1040126 Item 1 Marriages, 1839-1855; Burials, 1833, 1843-1854.
(Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints)

Deaths / burials are listed on Fife Family History Society's  Pre-1855 Fife Deaths CD.

Further information on the main Fife page.

Kirk Session records are held at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh. Some Kirk Session material is to be found in the OPR records (422/1 and 422/2).

Heritors' Records (HR185) are at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh.

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

  • CH2/970
    Dalgety Kirk Session
    Minutes, 1909-1971; Proclamation register, 1967-1977; Baptismal register, 1889-1986.

Included in the Old Parochial Registers on microfilm and at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh but not online:

  • Dalgety Kirk Session
    • 422/1
      Minutes, 16442-1662.
    • 422/2
      Minutes, 1709-1717.

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

  • HR/185
    Dalgety parish heritors' records
    Minutes, 1803-1927; Cash book, 1848-1927.

Other Churches:

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

  • CH2/1176
    Mossgreen Kirk Session
    Minutes, 1879-1925; Manager's minutes, 1851-1898; Communion roll, 1877-1907.

At the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City, USA, but available on microfilm at LDS Family History Centres around the world:

  • Microfilm no. 104150 Item 6
    Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Crossgate Branch
    Record of members, 1885-1886.

The Dalgety page of the LDS Family Search Research Wiki has more information about church history and records.

Civil Registration

Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. Full information on the main Fife page.

Registration districts covering this parish:

Registration district number start date end date
Dalgety 422 1855 1967
Dunfermline 424 1968 1971
Dunfermline 432 1972 2002
Fife 432 2003  

Registration districts did not necessarily coincide exactly with parishes. In the 20th century especially, there were frequent changes in registration districts.

Court Records

Fife Family History Society have transcribed a list of Dalgety Jurors, 1851 on the Records pages of their website.

Description and Travel

Dalgety Bay town centre Ordnance Survey Grid Reference GPS Post code Lat. 56°2'11"N
NT 156835 56.036920
-3.356142
KY11 9UY Lon. 3°21'23"W

Surrounding parishes: Inverkeithing, Dunfermline, Aberdour.

There is an informative Dalgety Bay website.

You can see pictures of Dalgety which are provided by:

Directories

Westwood's ParochialDirectory for the Counties of Fife and Kinross for 1862 and 1866 are online at Google Books. On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website there is a transcription of the 1862 edition.

Gazetteers

There is a list of places in Dalgety parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.

Several old gazetteers are available. They all contain descriptions of the parish and many are also worth searching for entries of places within the parish.

  • David Webster's Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, published 1819, online at Google Books.
  • Fullarton's Topographical, Statistical and Historical Gazetteer of Scotland, published 1842, online at Google Books.
  • Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, published 1846, online at British History Online.
  • Barbieri's Descriptive and Historical Gazetteer of the Counties of Fife, Kinross and Clackmannan, published 1857, is at Google Books.
  • Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-4) and John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887), are on A Vision of Britain (click on "Historical places and writing").
  • Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland(1892-6) on Electric Scotland

Historical Geography

A Vision of Britain provides historical descriptions, population & housing statistics, historic boundaries and maps.

You can see the administrative areas in which Dalgety has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Land and Property

Details of historic buildings and archaeological sites in this parish held by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Edinburgh, are catalogued at ScotlandsPlaces. In the results, click RCAHMS. Unfortunately, not all entries have digital images.

Maps

Historic maps:

Present-day maps:

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NT156835 (Lat/Lon: 56.036967, -3.356161), Dalgety which are provided by:

Obituaries

Andrew Campbell has produced Fife Deaths from Newspapers 1822-1854 - a compilation of deaths recorded in local newspapers. Copies of this index are held by the Fife libraries and the Family History Societies.

Fife Deaths Abroad 1855-1900 - a compilation of overseas deaths recorded in Fife newspapers - has been produced by Andrew Campbell of Fife Family History Society. The Society have re-published it in their Publications Series, 27.

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

The relief of paupers after 1845 was carried out by the Parochial Board and later by the Parish Council. Their records are at the Fife Council Archive Centre. See Public Records below.

Peter Higginbotham's website has a lot of information about Dunfermline combination poorhouse.

Population

Year Population
1755 761
1801 890
1851 1513
1901 1133
1951 1578

There is a page with census statistics from 1755 to 1961 here.

See also A Vision of Britain and Histpop for population statistics.

Probate Records

Probate records are 'Confirmations' in Scotland.

Prior to 1824, wills, testaments & inventories of residents of Dalgety may be found in either the St Andrews Commissariot (CC20) or the Edinburgh Commissariot (CC8) records. From 1824 to 1960, commissary business was conducted by the Sheriff Court of Fife at Cupar (SC20). From 1960, it has been conducted at Dunfermline (SC21) Sheriff Court.

Indexes and finding aids are given on the main Fife page.

Local sources worth searching for deeds include St Andrews Commissary Court and Cupar Sheriff Court.

Public Records

Parochial Boards and their successors, Parish Councils, administered many local functions including poor relief.

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Kirkcaldy:

  • FCC/6/23
    Dalgety Parochial Board / Parish Council
    Minute books, 1847-1930.

Schools

School Board records and / or school logbooks are held at the Fife Council Archive Centre. Dalgety records:

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Kirkcaldy:

  • Mossgreen School
    Log books, 1953-1962; admission registers, 1959-1966.
  • Hillend Public School
    Log books, 1882-1939.

Entries less than 50 years old may contain sensitive personal information and are not on open access. If you are a former pupil you are entitled to see your own entry. Please contact the Archivist for further details.

Education statistics for Fife schools in 1891-2 list the following board schools in the parish:

School Board School Accommodation for scholars Average attendance
Dalgety Hillend 268 190
Mossgreen 268 190

Statistics

"Statistical accounts" giving fascinating insights into the local topography and history, social and economic conditions, and even the daily lives of people, were written by the parish ministers in the 1790s and the 1840s. For more information see the main Fife pages

Taxation

The hearth tax, clock & watch tax, male servants tax, female servants tax, and farm horse tax are all on ScotlandsPlaces.

See also the Early Taxation Records page.