There are 3 cemeteries and a crematorium in Dunfermline parish:
1. Dunfermline Abbey, St Margaret Street, Dunfermline (grid ref. NT 089873; GPS: 56.06988 -3.462805):
- Pre-1855 monumental inscriptions are in Mitchell & Mitchell (see below).
- Transcripts of many of the older stones were made by Robert Monteith in An Theater of Mortality, 1713. They are included in Publication 37, Monumental Notes by Erskine Beveridge and Robert Monteith, published by the Fife Family History Society. Montieth's book is available at the Internet Archive texts.
- A lair register, recording the purchasers of lairs in the Abbey Churchyard, but not dates of burials, has been published "Dunfermline Abbey Church Kirk Session Burial Register 1761-1857 and 1866-67". It can be obtained from the Scottish Genealogy Society. The original is at the National Records of Scotland (CH2/592/57).
- The current lair registers (dating from 1854) are administered by Fife Council, Bereavement Services West, Dunfermline Crematorium, Masterton Road, Dunfermline,KY11 8QR. Tel. 01383 602335. Fax 01383 602665.
2. Dunfermline Cemetery, Leys Park Road, off Halbeath Road, Dunfermline (grid ref. NT 105881; GPS: 56.077071 -3.439585):
3. Douglas Bank Cemetery, Pattiesmuir, by Rosyth (grid ref. NT 091838; GPS: 56.038864 -3.459396):
- A CD with photographs of the stones and transcriptions is available from Scottish Monumental Inscriptions or from The Parish Chest.
- The current lair registers (dating from 1920), are administered by Fife Council, Bereavement Services West, Dunfermline Crematorium, Masterton Road, Dunfermline,KY11 8QR. Tel. 01383 602335. Fax 01383 602665.
4. Dunfermline Crematorium, Masterton Road, Dunfermline (grid ref. NT 119855; GPS: 56.054432 -3.414115):
- Opened in 1973.
- The current registers (dating from 1973) are administered by Fife Council, Bereavement Services West, Dunfermline Crematorium, Masterton Road, Dunfermline,KY11 8QR. Tel. 01383 602335. Fax 01383 602665.
Monumental inscriptions are listed in Fifeshire Monumental Inscriptions (pre-1855) vol. 2 The western parishes by John Fowler Mitchell & Sheila Mitchell, published by the Scottish Genealogy Society. ISBN 0901061972
War graves can be seen at the Scottish Wargraves Project and war memorials can be seen at the Scottish War Memorials Project.
|Dunfermline town centre
||Ordnance Survey Grid Reference
There is a comprehensive collection of links to Dunfermline information at the Annals of Dunfermline Links Page.
There is an informative Dunfermline website.
Surrounding parishes: Inverkeithing, Dalgety, Aberdour, Beath, Saline, Carnock, Torryburn, Cleish (in Kinross-shire); and, before 1891: Fossoway (in Kinross-shire) and, by ferry and later bridges across the River Forth, Queensferry (in West Lothian [Linlithgowshire as it was then]).
You can see pictures of Dunfermline which are provided by:
Several old gazetteers are available. They all contain descriptions of the parish and many are also worth searching for entries of places within the parish.
- David Webster's Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, published 1819, online at Google Books.
- Fullarton's Topographical, Statistical and Historical Gazetteer of Scotland, published 1842, online at Google Books.
- Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, published 1846, online at British History Online.
- Barbieri's Descriptive and Historical Gazetteer of the Counties of Fife, Kinross and Clackmannan, published 1857, is at Google Books.
- Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-4) and John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887), are on A Vision of Britain (click on "Historical places and writing").
- Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland(1892-6) on Electric Scotland
Ask for a calculation of the distance from Dunfermline to another place.
Click here for a list of nearby places.
Prior to 1891, Inverkeithing parish had a detached portion entirely surrounded by Dunfermline parish. The village of North Queensferry, on the other hand, was part of Dunfermline parish.
On 15th May 1891, the following subjects were transferred from the parish of Inverkeithing to the parish of Dunfermline: Brucehaven, Milesmark, Whitemyre Foundry, Blackburn, Logie, Urquhart, North Urquhart, Lady's Park and some properties in Dunfermline Burgh.
On the same date, the following subjects were transferred from Dunfermline parish to Inverkeithing parish: Carlingnose, Ferryhills, North Cliff, Fernbank House, Ferrybarns, Rockville, St Margaret's, and the whole village of North Queensferry.
Also on the same date, a part of Dunfermline parish north of the south march of Moreland (comprising Moreland House & Moreland Hill lands) was transferred from the parish of Dunfermline to the parish of Cleish in the county of Kinross. This formalised an arrangement by which the area had been treated as being part of the county of Kinross for some time.
A Vision of Britain provides historical descriptions, population & housing statistics, historic boundaries and maps.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NT091874 (Lat/Lon: 56.070757, -3.46175), Dunfermline which are provided by: