Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Forgan

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Forgan

Description of the parish in 1852

"Forgan parish extends 4 miles in length by 2 in breadth, lying near the mouth of the Tay; having Ferryport-on-Craig on the east, Leuchars & Kilmany on the south and Balmerino on the west. The land generally declines to the Tay from an elevated background, and is now well cultivated, inclosed and beautifully wooded. On the shore is Newport where there is a small harbour and ferry station opposite to Dundee. Recently some handsome villas have been erected on the slopes to the river, and a new road cut to Ferryport-on-Craig. Forgan has a constant communication maintained with the Dundee side by ferry. The Kirk of Forgan, which is situate inland, is about 10 miles from Cupar and the like distance from St Andrews. About one mile west from Newport is the small harbour of Woodhaven." from Slater's Directory, published 1852.

Archives and Libraries

The Newport, Wormit & Forgan Archive has an extensive collection of local information including directories, valuation rolls, baptisms, marriages, census, mortcloth receipts, house names, etc., all of which is searchable.

The ScotlandsPlaces website lets users search across national databases by geographical location. It includes, amongst other material,

  • catalogue entries for maps and plans held by the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh; some maps and plans can be viewed
  • photos and details of historical buildings and archaeological sites recorded by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Edinburgh
  • 17th and 18th century tax rolls
  • Ordnance Survey [place] Name Books
  • an opportunity to transcribe thousands of historic documents

Bibliography

A very good description is to be found in the relevant chapter in History of the County of Fife: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time by John M Leighton, published 1840, online at Google Books.

History of Newport and the parish of Forgan, and rambles round the district by J S Neish, published 1890, contains a very full history of the parish at that time. It is online at the Open Libary (some pages missing).

Newport's Story by Mairi Shiels, published 1990, is an excellent up-to-date history of the burgh, complete with illustrations.

Old Newport and Wormit by Mairi Shiels (1998, Stenlake Publishing, ISBN 1 84033 049 X) contains many photographs and full descriptions.

Business and Commerce Records

The Newport, Wormit & Forgan Archive has a list of the shareholders of the Wormit Electric Light Co Ltd.

Cemeteries

There are 2 cemeteries and 2 small burial sites in Forgan parish:

1. Forgan Churchyard, which surrounds the original Forgan Kirk (now in ruins, on a single track road off the A914, north of Drumoig Golf Centre, grid reference NO 446259, GPS: 56.422678, -2.900659 Google map):

  • This cemetery is no longer in use. When it became full, a new cemetery was opened at Vicarsford, about half a mile to the west. Although no new graves were opened at Forgan after 1894, the existing graves continued to be used if they had spaces in them.
  • There is a manuscript Gravedigger's Book recording burials at Forgan from Whitsunday 1899 at the Fife Council Archive Centre. This has been transcribed and published in William Owen's book Forgan Kirkyard .... (see below).
  • There are no other lair registers for Forgan Churchyard.
  • There are no burial records in the OPRs for Forgan parish. However, in the Kirk Session records, there are receipts for the hire of the mortcloth - a funeral pall - which was used at funerals. These mortcloth records have also been transcribed and published in William Owen's book Forgan Kirkyard .... (see below). They cover the years 1696 - 1835 (with gaps).
  • Monumental inscriptions are in Mitchell & Mitchell, and Owen (see below).
  • Some stones are recorded in Graveyard Monuments in East, North and Central Fife, John di Folco, published in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, 1969-70, vol. 102, pages 205-236, which deals largely with stones dated pre-1707. It can be downloaded from ARCHway.
  • A CD with photographs of the stones and transcriptions is available from Scottish Monumental Inscriptions or from The Parish Chest.

2. Vicarsford Cemetery (on a single track road off the A914, north of Drumoig Golf Centre, grid ref. NO 438257, GPS: 56.420928, -2.913437 Google map):

  • Situated in Leuchars parish, but opened as a replacement for Forgan Churchyard, and originally administered by Newport.
  • This was opened in 1894 and is still in use. A memorial chapel to the Leng family is at the top of the hill.
  • The current Vicarsford Lair Registers (dating from 1894) are administered by Fife Council, Cemeteries Department, County Buildings, St Catherine Street, Cupar, KY15 4TA. Tel. 01334 659336. Fax 01334 412896.
  • A CD with photographs of the stones and transcriptions is available from Scottish Monumental Inscriptions or from The Parish Chest.
  • There is a photograph and listing of the Boer War Memorial (inside the chapel) here.

3. There is a small private burial ground at Morton Farm (grid ref. NO 466260, GPS: 56.423177 -2.867280 Google map) which has a few graves of the Hay family.

  • Monumental inscriptions are in Mitchell & Mitchell, and Owen (see below).
  • Some stones are recorded in di Folco, see above.

4. At Boulterhall (grid ref. NO 417245, GPS: 56.408880 -2.946396 Google map), in a field, is a single grave of Alexander Nairne of Sandford.

  • Monumental inscriptions are in Mitchell & Mitchell, and Owen (see below).

The pre-1855 monumental inscriptions for Forgan Churchyard, Morton Farm and Boulterhall are listed in Fifeshire Monumental Inscriptions (pre-1855) vol. 3 The north east parishes by John Fowler Mitchell & Sheila Mitchell, published by the Scottish Genealogy Society. ISBN 0901061999

A complete listing of the inscriptions on all headstones in Forgan Churchyard, Morton Farm and Boulterhall is in Forgan Kirkyard - Monumental Inscriptions and Mortcloth Records by William Owen, published Dundee, 1997 (Tay Valley Family History Society) ISBN 1 87303 216 1. The book also includes a transcript of all mortcloth records for the parish and a transcript of the Gravedigger's Book used at Forgan Kirkyard from 1899.

Many Forgan residents were buried in Ferryport-on-Craig cemetery (lair records available from 1887 at the Cemeteries Department, Cupar) or in the Dundee cemeteries.

War memorials can be seen at the Scottish War Memorials Project.

Census

Parish / district reference number for 1841 - 1901 censuses: 431

The 1841 and 1851 returns can be searched on the FreeCEN website.

The 1851 census has been indexed and published by the Tay Valley Family History Society.

Some census records on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family Search Centres around the world.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

  1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891
Forgan 1042702 1042267 103829 103991 203523 208757
(Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints)

Further information on the main Fife page.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Forgan area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

In addition to the parish church at Forgan, in Newport there were a Free Church (later Church of Scotland - St Fillans), a Church of Scotland Chapel of Ease (St Thomas), a Congregational Church, a United Presbyterian Church (Trinity), a Roman Catholic Church (St Fillans) and an Episcopal Church (St Mary's); in Wormit there were a Church of Scotland and a Free Church.

The Old Statistical Account (written in the 1790s) gives this information about Dissenters:

  • 2 Episcopalians
  • A few Antiburgher Seceders

The New Statistical Account (written in 1838) gives this information:

  • "There is a meeting house near Newport in connection with the Independents. The number of families belonging to it is about 10, and the clergyman is an individual who is highly respected for his personal piety, and his anxious endeavours to benefit the neighbourhood in which he resides."

The1865 Ecclesiastical Directory lists the parish church, the Congregational Church and the Free Church.
The 1913 Dundee Directory lists, in Newport - the Congregational Union Church, the Episcopal Church, the Parish Church, St Fillans United Free Church, St Fillans Roman Catholic Church and Trinity United Free Church; in Forgan - the Established Church; in Wormit - the Parish Church and the United Free Church.

Information and pictures of the churches at the Scottish Churches website.

Details of church history:

  • Forgan Parish Church
The parish church of Forgan, which was rebuilt on a new site a mile to the west in 1841, was dedicated to St Fillan and formerly belonged to the Priory of St Andrews. In 1980 Forgan united with the charges of Newport St Fillan's and Newport St Thomas's to form the session of Newport-on-Tay. The kirk session sits within the Presbytery of St Andrews.
  • Newport Chapel of Ease (St Thomas):
St Thomas's was established as a chapel of ease in 1870, and in 1875 the parish of Newport was erected quoad sacra. It was in the Presbytery of St Andrews and Synod of Fife until c1929, thereafter in the Presbytery of Dundee and Synod of Angus and Mearns. In 1980 Newport: St Thomas's was united with Newport: St Fillan's and with Forgan under the designation Newport-on-Tay.
  • Newport Free Church, later United Free (St Fillans):
The minister of Forgan came out of the Church of Scotland with many of his congregation at the time of the Disruption in 1843, and Newport Free Church was erected for them in 1844 in the small Fife village of Newport. The congregation joined the United Free Church in 1900 on the union of the Free Church of Scotland and the United Presbyterian Church. From 1902 to c1929 the charge, under the name Newport: St Fillan's, was in the United Free Church's Presbytery of St Andrews and Synod of Fife and Angus. After the union of the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland in 1929, the charge was in the Presbytery of Dundee and Synod of Angus and Mearns. In 1980 Newport: St Fillan's was united with Newport: St Thomas's and with Forgan under the designation Newport-on-Tay.
  • Newport Congregational Church:
The evangelical activities of the Haldane brothers provoked a growth in non-conformity in Fife. The congregation at Newport was flourishing in 1890 and was closed in 1986 although the trustees continued to meet until 1988 to dispose of assets.
  • Wormit Church:
In 1889 a house was turned into a small hall for church gatherings but soon proved inadequate - a bazaar in Dundee in 1894 raised the capital to build the Wormit Mission the following year. Three years later it was raised to the status of a Chapel of Ease. This was erected into a Quoad Sacra charge in 1911, known as Wormit Parish Church and later as Wormit West. The two Wormit churches united in 1933 to form Wormit Parish Church.
The church website has detailed information about its history.
  • Wormit United Free Church:
Wormit United Free Church was built in 1899, and was known as Wormit East from 1929. The two Wormit churches united in 1933 to form Wormit Parish Church.

Church Records

Data provided by the  Scottish Archive Network (SCAN)

The Parish Church (Established Church, Church of Scotland):

The original Old Parish Registers (of baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages, and deaths / burials) of the Church of Scotland, which cover the years up to 1854, are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and they can all be consulted there at the National Records of Scotland. The baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages and deaths / burials indexes can be searched at the ScotlandsPeople website. Copies of the register entries may be purchased.

Parish reference number: 431

The Old Parish Registers (OPRs) span the following dates (although there are gaps within these ranges):

Forgan OPR Births / baptisms Proclamations / marriages Deaths / burials / mortcloths
431/1 1695-1819 1703-1819 -
431/2 1820-1854 1820-1854 1833-1835
(Data supplied by the National Records of Scotland)

The Detailed List of the Old Parochial Registers of Scotland, published 1872, provides this information about the content of the OPRs, including the gaps within them:

B.  blank Oct. 1700 - Jan. 1704. Mothers' names not recorded till Nov. 1723.
M.  After Jan. 1782, the Record is one of Proclamations only.
[D.  Two pages of Mortcloth Dues 1833 - 1835 at the end of M. record.]
[Subsequent to publication of the Detailed List, Mortcloth Dues for 1696 - 1835 (incomplete; blank Mar. 1741 - Mar. 1767), have been found in the Kirk Session records (CH2/160). A transcript of these Mortcloth Dues has been published in "Forgan Kirkyard - Monumental Inscriptions and Mortcloth Records" by William Owen, published Dundee, 1997 (Tay Valley Family History Society) ISBN 1 87303 216 1.]

Copies of the registers on microfilm may be consulted in some local libraries and at LDS Family Search Centres around the world. The indexes to baptisms / births and proclamations / marriages can also be searched on the LDS Family Search website or on the IGI on microfiche in local libraries.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

1040384 Items 1-2 Baptisms 1695-1854; Marriages 1703-1855; mortcloth dues (burial records) 1833-1835.
(Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints)

Deaths / burials are listed on Fife Family History Society's  Pre-1855 Fife Deaths CD.

Further information on the main Fife page.

Kirk Session records are held at the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library, with digital copies at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh.

Heritors' Records (HR388) are at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh.

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library, with digital copies of the earlier volumes at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

  • CH2/160
    Forgan Kirk Session
    Minutes, 1695-1700, 1703-1741, 1767-1955 (includes accounts & mortcloth receipts 1696 - 1835 with gaps); Pamphlet on the kirk by Rev A.P. Bogie.
  • CH2/1559
    Newport Chapel of Ease (St Thomas)
    Minutes, 1875-1913.

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:

  • CH2/1606
    Newport-on-Tay Kirk Session
    List at St Andrews University Library.
  • CH2/1615
    Wormit Kirk Session
    Wormit Mission and Chapel of Ease, minutes, 1895-1911; Wormit Parish Church, minutes of meetings of trustees, 1911-1919; Kirk Session minutes, 1911-1980

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

  • HR/388
    Forgan parish heritors' records
    Minutes 1845-1928; Accounts 1845-1928; Correspondence 1895-1929.

Other Churches:

Records for the Church of Scotland Chapel of Ease at Newport (St Thomas), the Free Church (later Church of Scotland - St Fillans), and the Congregational Church in Newport are held at the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library.

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:

  • CH3/1647
    Wormit United Free Church
    United Free Church minutes, 1911-1933; Deacon's Court minutes, 1911-1933.
  • CH3/1583
    Newport Free Church, later United Free (St Fillans)
    Minutes, 1843-1930.
  • ms38286/1-18
    Newport Congregational Church, Fife
    ms38286/1-3 Account books, 1964-1974, 1975-1983, 1984-1986; ms38286/4 Certificates of admission and demission, 1923-1967; ms38286/5 Autograph album of preachers, 1893-1957; ms38286/6 Balance sheets, 1975-1985; ms38286/7 Register of baptisms, 1965-1968; ms38286/8 Minutes of Church meeting, 1979-1986; ms38286/9-10 Lists of Church members, ca. 1985 and undated; ms38286/11 Register of attendance at communion, 1914-1924 and church roll, 1925-1935; ms38286/12 Constitution and bye-laws, 1957; ms38286/13 Minute book of deacons' meetings, 1912-1933; ms38286/14/1-3 Minute books of managers, 1895-1933, 1933-1957, 1969-1988; ms38286/15 Minute book of meeting of members, 1979; ms38286/16 Miscellaneous correspondence, 1915-1991; ms38286/17 Minutes of Sunday School, 1890-1903; ms38286/18 Trust deed of Newport Congregational Church, 1915.
    Access by appointment with the Archivist. Access to unpublished records less than 30 years old and other records containing confidential information may be restricted. Special conditions apply to photographs.

The Forgan page of the LDS Family Search Research Wiki has more information about church history and records.

Civil Registration

Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. Full information on the main Fife page.

Registration districts covering this parish:

Registration district number start date end date
Forgan 431 1855 1967
Newport on Tay 451 1968 1971
Newport on Tay 411 1972 2002
Fife 411 2003  

Registration districts did not necessarily coincide exactly with parishes. In the 20th century especially, there were frequent changes in registration districts.

Description and Travel

Newport-on-Tay town centre Ordnance Survey Grid Reference GPS Post code Lat. 56°26'23"N
NO 421279 56.439722
-2.940833
DD6 8DB Lon. 2°56'27"W

Forgan parish is an agricultural parish on the south shore of the River Tay opposite Dundee. It has been the site of a ferry across the river for several hundred years. The village of Newport grew up around the ferry terminal. In the 1820s, the introduction of a steam ferry led to the building of Marytown, an extension of Newport. The town grew steadily during Victorian times. The building of the Tay (railway) bridge at Wormit saw the growth of that part of the parish as a commuter suburb for the middle classes of Dundee while Newport also expanded with similar housing. The burgh was created in 1887 and Wormit was added to it in 1902. Wormit was the first village in Scotland to have electric light in its houses.

Surrounding parishes: Balmerino, Ferryport on Craig, Leuchars, Kilmany, Logie, Dundee (via ferry, and later bridges, across the River Tay).

You can see pictures of Forgan which are provided by:

Directories

A directory of Newport and (later) Wormit appears in the Dundee Directory in 1834, 1853, and from 1867 to 1974. There is a complete run of this publication at the Local Studies Department, Wellgate Library, Dundee. Complete Dundee directories (with sections for Newport) for all years to 1911 are online at the National Library of Scotland's Scottish Directories pages. There are searchable online transcripts of all Newport directories at the Newport, Wormit & Forgan Archive.

The parish entry in Pigot's National Commercial Directory for the whole of Scotland, 1837, is online at Google Books.

Westwood's Parochial Directory for the Counties of Fife and Kinross for 1862 and 1866 are online at Google Books. On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website there is a transcription of the 1862 edition.

Gazetteers

There is a list of places in Forgan parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.

Several old gazetteers are available. They all contain descriptions of the parish and many are also worth searching for entries of places within the parish.

  • David Webster's Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, published 1819, online at Google Books.
  • Fullarton's Topographical, Statistical and Historical Gazetteer of Scotland, published 1842, online at Google Books.
  • Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, published 1846, online at British History Online.
  • Barbieri's Descriptive and Historical Gazetteer of the Counties of Fife, Kinross and Clackmannan, published 1857, is at Google Books.
  • Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-4) and John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887), are on A Vision of Britain (click on "Historical places and writing").
  • Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland(1892-6) on Electric Scotland

Historical Geography

A Vision of Britain provides historical descriptions, population & housing statistics, historic boundaries and maps.

You can see the administrative areas in which Forgan has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Land and Property

Valuation Rolls from 1855-1975 are held at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh. Also held there are the Valuation Office field books and plans (for the Valuation Office survey of 1911-1915). Forgan records:

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

  • VR101
    Valuation Rolls: County of Fife
    1855-1975; the rolls for 1855, 1865, 1875, 1885, 1895, 1905, 1915, 1920, 1925 and 1930 are online at the ScotlandsPeople website.
  • IRS66/302
    Valuation Office (Scotland): Field Book, 1910-1920: Forgan Parish
    Entries 1-86.
  • IRS66/303-313
    Valuation Office (Scotland): Field Book, 1910-1920: Forgan Parish, Newport Burgh
    Entries 1-943, + Supplementaries.
  • IRS113
    Valuation Office (Scotland) maps to accompany the above field books, scale 1/2500, Ordnance Survey sheets for Fife.

The Newport, Wormit & Forgan Archive has transcripts of the Valuation Rolls for many years from 1855 to 1917. There are also lists of house names in Newport and Wormit to enable addresses to be located. Details of historic buildings and archaeological sites in this parish held by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Edinburgh, are catalogued at ScotlandsPlaces. In the results, click RCAHMS. Unfortunately, not all entries have digital images.

Maps

Historic maps:

Present-day maps:

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NO433258 (Lat/Lon: 56.421049, -2.920733), Forgan which are provided by:

Military History

The Newport and Wormit War Memorial by Gordon Small has biographies of those recorded on the war memorials in the parish. It is available from the Tay Valley Family History Society.

War memorials can be seen at the Scottish War Memorials Project.

There are photographs and listings of all the Forgan war memorials here.

Obituaries

Andrew Campbell has produced Fife Deaths from Newspapers 1822-1854 - a compilation of deaths recorded in local newspapers. Copies of this index are held by the Fife libraries and the Family History Societies.

Fife Deaths Abroad 1855-1900 - a compilation of overseas deaths recorded in Fife newspapers - has been produced by Andrew Campbell of Fife Family History Society. The Society have re-published it in their Publications Series, 28.

Occupations

The parish is included in Andrew Campbell's compilation of Fife Shopkeepers and Traders 1820-1870 taken from newspapers and directories. It is available in most Fife reference libraries, in the libraries of the family history societies, and at the Manuscript Department of the Special Collections Department of St Andrews University Library. It is also available as Fife Traders and Shopkeepers on CD from Fife Family History Society.

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

The relief of paupers after 1845 was carried out by the Parochial Board and later by the Parish Council. Their records are at the Fife Council Archive Centre and at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh. See Public Records below.

Population

Year Population
1755 751
1801 916
1851 1125
1901 4720
1951 3727

There is a page with census statistics from 1755 to 1961 here.

See also A Vision of Britain and Histpop for population statistics.

Probate Records

Probate records are 'Confirmations' in Scotland.

Prior to 1824, wills, testaments & inventories of residents of Forgan may be found in either the St Andrews Commissariot (CC20) or the Edinburgh Commissariot (CC8) records. From 1824, commissary business has been conducted by the Sheriff Court of Fife at Cupar (SC20).

Indexes and finding aids are given on the main Fife page.

Local sources worth searching for deeds include St Andrews Commissary Court, Cupar Sheriff Court, and Dundee Burgh Register of Deeds.

Public Records

Parochial Boards and their successors, Parish Councils, administered many local functions including poor relief.

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

  • CO/12
    Forgan Parish Council
    Minutes 1917-1929.

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Kirkcaldy:

  • some Forgan Parochial Board papers.

Schools

School Board records and / or school logbooks are held at the Fife Council Archive Centre. Forgan records:

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Kirkcaldy:

  • Forgan Public School
    Log books, 1871-1973; School Board Minute books, 1904-1919; Petty cash book, 1929.
  • Newport School
    Management Committee Minute Books, 1919-1930
  • Wormit Primary School
    Log books, 1894-1930; Log book (Edinburgh section), 1939; Log books, 1930-2001; Admissions Registers, 1894-1919, 1939-1940, 1942-1976;

Entries less than 50 years old may contain sensitive personal information and are not on open access. If you are a former pupil you are entitled to see your own entry. Please contact the Archivist for further details.

At the Newport Library and Heritage Centre, Blyth Street, Newport-on-Tay:

  • Records of the Mars Training Ship, 1869-1929.

Education statistics for Fife schools in 1891-2 list the following board schools in the parish:

School Board School Accommodation for scholars Average attendance
Forgan Forgan 130 129
Newport 421 257

There is a very informative website about the Mars Training Ship which was moored in the Tay off Woodhaven from 1869 to 1929.

Statistics

"Statistical accounts" giving fascinating insights into the local topography and history, social and economic conditions, and even the daily lives of people, were written by the parish ministers in the 1790s and the 1840s. For more information see the main Fife pages

Taxation

The hearth tax, clock & watch tax, male servants tax, female servants tax, and farm horse tax are all on ScotlandsPlaces.

See also the Early Taxation Records page.

Town Records

Towns were usually referred to as Burghs in Scotland.

The archives of the former Burgh of Newport-on-Tay (from 1897-1975) are held at the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library and at the Fife Council Archive Centre.

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:

  • B79
    Newport-on-Tay burgh records
    Burgh commissioners minutes, 1897-1901; Town council minutes, 1901-1968, 1971-1975; Committee minutes, 1974-1975; Miscellaneous statutory registers, 1904-1946; Police Court register, 1896-1975; Register of local bonds, 1921-1968; Valuation rolls, 1962-1975 (incomplete run); Dean of Guild Court: register of applications for minor warrants, 1933-1964; Abstracts of accounts, 1956-1974 and undated; Agreements relating to property and public services, 1897-1975.

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Kirkcaldy:

  • B/Np
    Newport Burgh Records
    Town Council minutes, 1926-1966 (with gaps); town clerk's letter books, 1891-1952 (with gaps); correspondence of Police Commissioners, 1887-1916; minutes of Welcome Home Committee for Newport, Wormit and Forgan, 1944-1949; Dean of Guild court registers of applications for minor warrants, 1927-1963; Burgh Surveyor and Sanitary inspectors reports, 1918-1934; assessment for the support of the poor of the parish of Forgan, 1865-1866; Vicarsford Cemetery committee records, 1933-1968.

Voting Registers

There are transcripts of the some early Voters' Rolls at the Newport, Wormit & Forgan Archive .