|Kingdom of Fife||Contents|
The object name books provide a description of every town, village, building, archaeological site and natural feature. They were created during the compilation of the O.S. First Edition maps of Fife and include notes and observations on all features on the original six-inch maps published around 1856. There are 135 object name books for Fife and Kinross. Each parish is split between several different books.The original first edition name books are held by the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh (reference RH4/23/83 - 93). Copies are held by the Fife Council Archive Service and Cupar, Dunfermline & Kirkcaldy libraries.
The name books have been indexed by staff at Fife Council Libraries. The files are all available on Fife Council's website but are extremely difficult to track down. The indexes for the Fife parishes can be downloaded from the links below.
The parishes of Culross and Tulliallan are not included as they were in Perthshire at that time. There are separate files for St Andrews and St Leonards. Anstruther Easter and Wester are combined into 1 file.
|Abbotshall||Abdie||Abernethy||Aberdour||Anstruther E & W|
|Ferryport on Craig||Flisk||Forgan||Inverkeithing||Kemback|
|Scoonie||St Andrews||St Leonards||St Monans||Strathmiglo|
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a search engine? If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Page maintained by William McM. Owen : last updated 21 December, 2009