Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Tulliallan

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Tulliallan

Description of the parish in 1856

"The parish contains the post-town of Kincardine and the village of Longannat. It is bounded by the parishes of Culross and Clackmannan. It measures about 2.75 miles north to south by 2.5 miles east to west. A considerable extent of valuable land has been reclaimed from the sweep of the tide by two extensive embankments. Sandstone of excellent quality, coal and ironstone abound. Excellent public communication by railway and river steamer are enjoyed at Kincardine. In addition to the parish church, there is a Free Church and a United Presbyterian church built in 1819. " edited from Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland published 1856.

Archives and Libraries

Perth & Kinross Council Archives and Library, A K Bell Library, Perth. Tel. (01738) 477012, email: archives@pkc.gov.uk, has material relating to Culross and Tulliallan when they were part of Perthshire (before 1891).

Fife Council Archive Centre, Carleton House, Balgonie Road, Markinch, Fife KY6 7AQ.   Tel: (01592) 583352. email: archive.enquiries@fife.gov.uk, has more recent material since their transfer to Fife in 1891.

The ScotlandsPlaces website lets users search across national databases by geographical location. It includes, amongst other material,

  • catalogue entries for maps and plans held by the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh; some maps and plans can be viewed
  • photos and details of historical buildings and archaeological sites recorded by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Edinburgh
  • 17th and 18th century tax rolls
  • Ordnance Survey [place] Name Books
  • an opportunity to transcribe thousands of historic documents

Cemeteries

There are 3 cemeteries in Tulliallan parish:

1. Tulliallan Old Cemetery, Woodlea, Kincardine (grid ref. NS 934881, GPS: 56.073645 -3.714675 Google map):

  • The restoration of Tulliallan kirkyard has brought to light many previously hidden gravestones and is an excellent example of a local historical initiative. The site also has a plan of the kirkyard and has a complete listing of all the memorial inscriptions. Those stones which have carvings have a photograph included.
  • Monumental inscriptions are in Mitchell & Mitchell - see below.
  • Memento-mori has a monumental inscription name index and supplies photographs of the stones.
  • A CD with photographs of the stones and transcriptions is available from Scottish Monumental Inscriptions or from The Parish Chest.

2. Tulliallan Mausoleum, on the site of the pre-reformation church at Overton (grid ref. NS 940895, GPS: 56.086791 -3.704443 Google map):

  • This graveyard, which includes the mausoleum of Admiral Lord Keith, has also been restored.
  • Monumental inscriptions are in Mitchell & Mitchell - see below.

3. Tulliallan Cemetery, Toll Road, Kincardine (grid ref. NS 938874, GPS: 56.066879 -3.706808 Google map):

  • The first burial here was in May 1856.
  • Pre-1855 monumental inscriptions are in Mitchell & Mitchell - see below.
  • Memento-mori has a monumental inscription name index and supplies photographs of the stones.
  • War graves can be seen at the Scottish Wargraves Project.
  • The current lair registers (dating from 1923) are administered by Fife Council, Bereavement Services West, Dunfermline Crematorium, Masterton Road, Dunfermline,KY11 8QR. Tel. 01383 602335. Fax 01383 602665.
  • There are also some records for the cemetery (from 1856) held by Fife Council Archives.
  • A CD with photographs of the stones and transcriptions is available from Scottish Monumental Inscriptions or from The Parish Chest.

Monumental inscriptions are listed in Fifeshire Monumental Inscriptions (pre-1855) vol. 2 The western parishes by John Fowler Mitchell & Sheila Mitchell, published by the Scottish Genealogy Society. ISBN 0901061972

War graves can be seen at the Scottish Wargraves Project and war memorials can be seen at the Scottish War Memorials Project.

Census

Parish / district reference number for 1841 - 1891 censuses: 397
District reference number for 1901 census: 458b

The 1841 and 1851 returns can be searched on the FreeCEN website.

The 1851 census has been indexed by the Tay Valley Family History Society.

Some census records on microfilm may be consulted in  LDS Family Search Centres around the world.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

  1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891
Tulliallan 1042698 1042251 103896 104079 203515 208745
(Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints)

Further information on the main Fife page.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Tulliallan area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

In addition to the parish church, there was a burgher (United Presbyterian) church at Kincardine and a Free Church.

The Old Statistical Account (written in the 1790s) gives this information about Dissenters:

  • An exact account of the births and deaths is not to be expected in this place, for several of the Seceders do not registrate their children's births.
  • There are 2 clergymen: the minister of the Established Church and the minister of the Burgher Seceders. The number of their hearers, and of the other sectaries, is as follows:
  • Members of the Established Church - 2040
  • Burgher Seceders - 370
  • Antiburgher Seceders - 16
  • Seceders from these - 2
  • Anabaptists - 2

The New Statistical Account (written in 1842) gives this information:

The great majority of the population belongs to the Established Church, and their number has been lately increased by the union of the Old Light Seceders with the church. There are no Episcopal or Roman Catholic families in the parish.

The 1865 Ecclesiastical Directory lists the parish church and the Free Church.

Information and pictures of the churches at the Scottish Churches website.

Details of church history:

  • Tulliallan Kirk Session:

The parish of Tulliallan was of old a small parish consisting only of the barony of Tulliallan. The parish boundaries were however extended in 1673 when the barony of Kincardine-on-forth and the lands of Lurg, Sands and Kellywood were disjoined from Culross and added to Tulliallan. A new parish church was erected in 1675, replacing an earlier construction, and this was in turn replaced in 1833. In 1974 Tulliallan was united with Kincardine to form the session of Tulliallan and Kincardine. The kirk session sat within the jurisdiction of the Presbytery of Dunblane, later of Dunfermline and Kinross and, following the restructuring of the presbyteries in 1976, it became part of the Presbytery of Dunfermline.

  • Kincardine (Burgher), United Presbyterian, United Free, Church of Scotland:

Kincardine (Burgher) Church began in 1775 with a group who petitioned the Burgher Presbytery of Dunfermline and Perth. A congregation was formed which included members of the older congregation of Alloa West. The first minister was ordained in 1777, by which time a meeting-house seems to have been already built. A new church followed in 1819. It passed successively to the United Presbyterian and United Free Churches, and united with Tulliallan in 1914 as Kincardine and Tulliallan UF. This transferred to the Church of Scotland as Kincardine, which in 1974 united with Tulliallan as Tulliallan and Kincardine. The Church of Scotland charge was in the presbytery of Dunfermline and Kinross and the synod of Fife.

  • Tulliallan Free Church, United Free (United with Kincardine in 1914)

Tulliallan Free Church was organised as a congregation at the Disruption, with a new church opened in 1844, and was joined by an older group of Old Light Burghers in Kincardine village. Originally in Dunblane presbytery, it later transferred to Dunfermline. It passed to the United Free Church and united with Kincardine in 1914 as Kincardine and Tulliallan UF. The UFC charge was in the presbytery of Dunfermline and Kinross and the synod of Perth and Stirling.

Church Records

Data provided by the  Scottish Archive Network (SCAN)

The Parish Church (Established Church, Church of Scotland):

The original Old Parish Registers (of baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages, and deaths / burials) of the Church of Scotland, which cover the years up to 1854, are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and they can all be consulted there at the National Records of Scotland. The baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages and deaths / burials indexes can be searched at the ScotlandsPeople website. Copies of the register entries may be purchased.

Parish reference number: 397

The Old Parish Registers (OPRs) span the following dates (although there are gaps within these ranges):

Tulliallan OPR Births / baptisms Proclamations / marriages Deaths / burials / mortcloths
397/1 1673-1819    
397/2   1673-1819 1680-1781
397/3 1820-1854 1820-1854 1824-1848
Register of Neglected Entries      
(Data supplied by the National Records of Scotland)

The Detailed List of the Old Parochial Registers of Scotland, published 1872, provides this information about the content of the OPRs, including the gaps within them:

B.  Duplicate of record March 1692 - Nov. 1702.
M.  Duplicate of record April 1692 - July 1698.
D.  Mortcloth Dues till 1740. Blank Nov. 1740 - Jan. 1747, after which Deaths, with specification of disease, and frequently age of deceased.

Copies of the registers on microfilm may be consulted in some local libraries and at LDS Family Search Centres around the world. The indexes to baptisms / births and proclamations / marriages can also be searched on the LDS Family Search website or on the IGI on microfiche in local libraries.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

1040141 Item 5 Baptisms 1673-1777; Mortcloth dues (burial records) 1698
1040193 Items 1-3 Baptisms 1777-1854; Marriages 1673-1854; Burials (part Mortcloth dues) 1680-1781, 1807, 1820- 1853
(Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints)

Deaths / burials are listed on Fife Family History Society's  Pre-1855 Fife Deaths CD.

Further information on the main Fife page.

Kirk Session records are held at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh. Some Kirk Session material is to be found in the OPR records (397/2).

Heritors' Records (HR314) are at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh.

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

  • CH2/710
    Tulliallan Kirk Session
    Minutes, 1674-1932 and 1949-1981; Accounts, 1673-1680, 1690-1745, 1767-1839 and 1845-1932; Mortcloth and bell money, 1711-1743; Cemetery manager's minutes, 1883-1923; Census of parish, 1862; Baptismal register, 1879-1975; Communion roll, 1860-1896, 1907-1944, 1952-1956 and 1972-1974; Register of Parochial statistics, 1836; Auxiliary of National Bible Statistics; Diet book of baron court book of baronies of Kincardine and Tulliallan, 1824-1843 and 1852; Proclamation register, 1861-1978.

Included in the Old Parochial Registers on microfilm and at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh but not online:

  • 397/2
    Tulliallan Kirk Session
    Collections, mostly mortcloth, 1680-1694.

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

  • HR/314
    Tulliallan parish heritors' records
    Minutes, 1832-1833, 1848-1927; Accounts, 1910-1929; Papers relating to buildings, 1832-1903; Miscellaneous, 1835-1842, 1902; Plans of manse and glebe, 1825, undated.
Other Churches :

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

  • CH3/1018
    Kincardine (Burgher), United Presbyterian, United Free, Church of Scotland.
    Minutes, 1864-1974; Managers' minutes, 1852-1957; Seat letting cash book, 1856-1881; Seat letting book, 1870-1892; Elders' cash book (collections), 1880-1954; Treasurer's accounts, 1875-1881; Congregational fund accounts, 1915-1948; Building fund accounts, 1914-1930; Communion roll, 1865-1902, 1915-1935, 1941-1952, 1957-1974; Church hall accounts, 1906-1939; Congregational board minutes, 1957-1960; Cash book, 1947-1973; Baptismal register, 1831-1840, 1853-1974; Accounts, 1953-1974; Proclamation register, 1932-1974; Minutes of clock committee, 1883-1889.
  • CH3/1019
    Tulliallan Free Church, United Free (United with Kincardine in 1914)
    Minutes, 1844-1914; Deacons' court minutes, 1844-1913; Accounts, 1845-1869; Communion roll, 1861-1868, 1903-1914; Miscellaneous, 1844-1915.

The Tulliallan page of the LDS Family Search Research Wiki has more information about church history and records.

Civil Registration

Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. Full information on the main Fife page.

Registration districts covering this parish:

Registration district number start date end date
Tulliallan 397 1855 1892
Tulliallan 458b 1893 1967
Culross 418 1968 1971
Culross 435 1972 1993
West Fife 435 1994 2002
Fife 435 2003  

Registration districts did not necessarily coincide exactly with parishes. In the 20th century especially, there were frequent changes in registration districts.

Court Records

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

  • CH2/710/27
    Tulliallan Kirk Session
    Diet book of baron court book of baronies of Kincardine and Tulliallan, 1824-1843 and 1852.

Description and Travel

Kincardine town centre Ordnance Survey Grid Reference GPS Post code Lat. 56°4'7"N
NS 932875 56.068368
-3.717079
FK10 4NH Lon. 3°4'3"W

Surrounding parishes: Culross, Clackmannan (in Clackmannanshire), Airth (in Stirlingshire, via ferry acrosss the River Forth).

You can see pictures of Tulliallan which are provided by:

Directories

The parish entry in Pigot's National Commercial Directory for the whole of Scotland, 1837, is online at Google Books.

Gazetteers

There is a list of places in Tulliallan parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.

Several old gazetteers are available. They all contain descriptions of the parish and many are also worth searching for entries of places within the parish.

  • David Webster's Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, published 1819, online at Google Books.
  • Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, published 1846, online at British History Online.
  • Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-4) and John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887), are on A Vision of Britain (click on "Historical places and writing").
  • Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland(1892-6) on Electric Scotland

Historical Geography

On 15th May 1891, the whole parish of Tulliallan was transferred from the county of Perth to the county of Fife.

A Vision of Britain provides historical descriptions, population & housing statistics, historic boundaries and maps.

You can see the administrative areas in which Tulliallan has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

History

The Kincardine-on-Forth Local History Group have a good selection of pages about the History of Tulliallan and Kincardine.

Land and Property

Valuation Rolls are held at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh. From 1855-1891 they are in Perthshire (ref. VR113); from 1892-1975 they are in Fife (ref. VR101).

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

  • VR113
    Valuation Rolls: Perthshire
    1855-1891
  • VR101
    Valuation Rolls: Fife
    1892-1975

Details of historic buildings and archaeological sites in this parish held by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Edinburgh, are catalogued at ScotlandsPlaces. In the results, click RCAHMS. Unfortunately, not all entries have digital images.

Maps

Historic maps:

Present-day maps:

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NS932875 (Lat/Lon: 56.068417, -3.717106), Tulliallan which are provided by:

Occupations

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

  • GD1/102
    Kincardine and Tulliallan Sailors fund
    Document relating to a fund set up by the shipmasters and sailors of the town of Kincardine, parish of Tulliallan, to provide for the needs of the indigent persons belonging to their vocation, 1752.

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

The relief of paupers after 1845 was carried out by the Parochial Board and later by the Parish Council. Their records are at the Fife Council Archive Centre. See Public Records below.

Population

Year Population
1755 1321
1801 2800
1851 3043
1901 1862
1951 2119

There is a page with census statistics from 1755 to 1961 here.

See also A Vision of Britain and Histpop for population statistics.

Probate Records

Probate records are 'Confirmations' in Scotland.

Prior to 1824, wills, testaments & inventories of residents of Tulliallan may be found in either the Dunblane Commissariot (CC6) or the Edinburgh Commissariot (CC8) records. From 1824, commissary business may have been conducted by the Sheriff Court of Perth (SC49), the Sheriff Court at Dunblane (SC44), or the Sheriff Court of Fife at Cupar (SC20). From 1960, it has been conducted at Dunfermline (SC21) Sheriff Court.

Indexes and finding aids are given on the main Fife page.

Local sources worth searching for deeds include St Andrews Commissary Court, Dunblane Commissary Court, Dunblane Sheriff Court, Perth Sheriff Court and Cupar Sheriff Court.

Public Records

Parochial Boards and their successors, Parish Councils, administered many local functions including poor relief.

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Kirkcaldy:

  • FCC/6/55
    Tulliallan Parochial Board / Parish Council
    Minute books, 1845-1930.

Schools

School Board records and / or school logbooks are held at the Fife Council Archive Centre. Tulliallan records:

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Kirkcaldy:

  • Kincardine on Forth Tulliallan Infant School
    Log books, 1892-1944.
  • Kincardine on Forth Tulliallan School
    Log books, 1874-1891, 1887-1971.
  • Kincardine on Forth Tulliallan Continuation School
    Log books, 1900-1910.
  • Tulliallan School
    School Board Minute Books, 1873-1919.
  • Kincardine and Tulliallan Education Association
    School Board Minute Books, 1840-1873.

Entries less than 50 years old may contain sensitive personal information and are not on open access. If you are a former pupil you are entitled to see your own entry. Please contact the Archivist for further details.

Education statistics for Fife schools in 1891-2 list the following board schools in the parish:

School Board School Accommodation for scholars Average attendance
Tulliallan Keith 341 250
Tulliallan 204 90

Statistics

"Statistical accounts" giving fascinating insights into the local topography and history, social and economic conditions, and even the daily lives of people, were written by the parish ministers in the 1790s and the 1840s. For more information see the main Fife pages

Taxation

Hearth Tax (1692-1695) and some 18th century assessed tax records are at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh. The hearth tax return has been reprinted in Perthshire Hearth Tax 1691-1692 published by the Scottish Genealogy Society.

The hearth tax, male servants tax, female servants tax, and farm horse tax are all on ScotlandsPlaces.

See also the Early Taxation Records page.

Voting Registers

The Kincardine-on-Forth Local History Group have provided a list of parliamentary voters for the parish of Tulliallan 1832-1850.