Duncan Institute, Crossgate, Cupar, Fife KY15 5AS. Tel. 01334 659367, Fax: 01334 659306, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mon: 9.30 am - 5 pm
Tues: 9.30 am - 7 pm
Wed: 9.30 am - 7 pm
Thurs: 9.30 am - 7 pm
Fri: 9.30 am - 5 pm
Sat: 9.30 am - 5 pm
The library now houses the reference collection of Fife Family History Society
You can download lists of newspapers, directories, and valuation rolls held by Fife Council libraries.
Computer terminals allow free access to ancestry.co.uk (for library members), the Scran collection of photographs, and the Statistical Accounts for Scotland.
Family History Material held includes:
- Old Parish Records (microfilm) for all parishes in East Fife
- Census Returns 1841 - 1901 (microfilm) for all parishes in East Fife
- International Genealogical Index (Scotland)
- Register of Sasines - Abridgements for whole county of Fife 1781 - 1946
- Index to Personal Names in Register of Sasines 1608-1609, 1617-1660
- Valuation Rolls
- Monumental Inscriptions pre-1855 in East Fife (Mitchell & Mitchell)
- Monumental Inscriptions pre-1855 in West Fife (Mitchell & Mitchell)
- Fife Shopkeepers & Traders 1820 - 1870, vols. 1-8 (A J Campbell)
- Kemback parish census index 1841 - 1891
- Flisk parish census index 1841 - 1891
- Obituaries from the East Fife Observer 1914 - 1959
- Fife Deaths Abroad 1855 - 1900 (A J Campbell)
- Fife Apprentices & Freemen 1524 - 1899, vols. 1-5 (A J Campbell)
- The Phillimore Atlas & Index of Parish Registers (Cecil Humphrey Smith)
- Fife & Kinross Trades Directory - 1862, 1866, 1872, 1937, 1953/4
- Electoral Registers - 1832, 1833
- Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-1919 Black Watch Royal Highlanders
- Pigot & Co. New National Commercial Directory of Scotland 1825-26
- Pre-1855 gravestone inscriptions for Angus, Speyside, Upper Deeside, Bute & Arran, Kincardineshire
- Fife Deaths 1822 - 1854 (A J Campbell)
- Auchtermuchty Monumental Inscriptions (M Bonthrone)
- Auchtermuchty Deaths (M Bonthrone)
- Index of Cupar Tradesmen (from the Fifeshire Journal)
- Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae (1923 edition) vols. 1-7
- Fasti of the United Free Church of Scotland 1900 - 1929
- Ordnance Survey Object Name Books 1850-1854. There is an index to most of them on the Fife Council website. Links to the indexes here.
Pittenweem Burgh Records:
- Valuation Roll 1845-46
- Old Rental Book 1845-80
- alphabetical List of Voters 1832-56
- Assessment & alphabetic rolls 1888-93
- Assessment roll 1893-97 and 1900-07
- Valuation & alphabetic rolls 1877-82
- Valuation Roll 1871, 1878
- assessment 1882-88
- Courier, Dundee 1926 - present day
- East Fife Record 1870 - 1917
- Fife News 1967 - 1974
- Fife Herald 1967 - 1974
- Fife Herald News 1974 - present day
- Fifeshire Journal 1833 - 1893
- list of newspapers in Fife libraries
There is a series of indexes to the older editions of the above newspapers, including a subject index and a name index. The East Fife Record also has indexes of Births (1856-1900), Marriages (1856-1900), Deaths (1856-1900) and Obituaries.
The Cupar newspaper index is online at Ancestry.co.uk.
The Library also houses an extensive local History collection, covering the whole of Fife but with special emphasis on the eastern part of the Kingdom.
While staff assistance and advice are available to help locate information, it is expected that those undertaking research are prepared to spend their own time consulting sources. In the case of postal enquiries, or those searches which require a lot of staff involvement, a fee may be levied, if necessary. Many of the sources are on microfiche or microfilm. Copies from film are available. Current charges apply.