Fife Council Archive Centre
Parochial Board / Parish Council Records
Parochial Boards were created in 1845 to administer Poor relief and Poor houses. At various times, they had powers and duties with regard to water supply, hospitals, public health, cemeteries, etc. They were replaced in 1894 by Parish Councils which remained in existence until 1929.
The catalogue can be searched on the Fife Council website (select A in the A-Z list, then Archives).
Records are held for the following parishes. In general, they are the Minute Books from 1845-1930 and are largely concerned with the relief of paupers and management of the cemetery.
On the Fife Council website there is a list of people sent to the poorhouse by the Parish Councils of Dysart and Markinch. (Includes Markinch Paupers 1868 - 1888, Dysart Paupers 1878 - 1883.) Fife Family History Society have published a more detailed copy of the index in their Publications Series, 34.