GENUKI Home page

Kingdom of Fife Kingdom of Fife Contents Contents Fife towns and parishes Fife Towns & Parishes Neighboursnearby places

Aberdour

Map showing the location of the parish

"Aberdour parish extends about 3 miles along the Firth of Forth and is about 3 miles from north - south. It is bounded by Dalgetty, Dunfermline, Burntisland and Auchtertool. The island of Inchcolm belongs to this parish. There is a harbour which admits vessels of 200 tons burden. Though not large, as many as 25 vessels have been crowded into it at one time. The main export is coal (150000 tons per year). Imports are small, chiefly manure. Aberdour is not a parish where much business is carried on, though coarse cloth is manufactured to some extent; red sandstone, coal & lime are wrought extensively, and there is a sawmill. But it is as a bathing resort for summer visitors that Aberdour is best known. As it has daily communication by steam with Edinburgh, its shores are a favourite retreat to the inhabitants of the Scottish capital during the heats of summer." edited from Westwood's Directory for the counties of Fife & Kinross published 1862.

Towns and Villages

Aberdour

Places in Aberdour parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.


Please read the main Fife pages if you have not already done so.

Archives, Libraries and Museums

A separate Records Page page gives details of the records for this parish held by Scottish archives.

The ScotlandsPlaces website lets users search across national databases by geographical location. It includes, amongst other material,

Bibliography

A very good description is to be found in the relevant chapter in History of the County of Fife: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time by John M Leighton, published 1840, online at Google Books.

There is a chapter about Aberdour in Mercer's History of Dunfermline, published 1828, is at Google Books.

Old Aberdour (Stenlake Publishing) contains many photographs and full descriptions.

Cemeteries

There are 2 cemeteries in Aberdour parish:

1. Aberdour St Fillans Churchyard, Hawkcraig Road, Aberdour (grid ref. NT 193854, GPS: 56.054625 -3.297350):

2. Aberdour Cemetery / Churchyard, off Mill Farm Road, Aberdour (grid ref. NT 188853, GPS: 56.053642 -3.305345):

War graves can be seen at the Scottish Wargraves Project and war memorials can be seen at the Scottish War Memorials Project.

Census

Parish / district reference number for 1841 - 1901 censuses: 401

The 1841 return can be searched on the FreeCEN website.

The 1851 census has been indexed by the Tay Valley Family History Society.

Some census records on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family Search Centres around the world.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

  1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891
Aberdour 1042699 1042252 103825 103986 203516 208746
Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Further information on the main Fife page.

Return to top of page

Church History

In addition to the parish church, there was also a Free Church and an Episcopal Church.

The Old Statistical Account (written in the 1790s) gives this information about Dissenters:

The New Statistical Account (written in 1843) gives this information:

The 1865 Ecclesiastical Directory lists only the parish church and the Free Church.

Information and pictures of the churches at the Scottish Churches website.

Details of church history here.

Church Records

The Parish Church (Established Church, Church of Scotland):

The original Old Parish Registers (of baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages, and deaths / burials) of the Church of Scotland, which cover the years up to 1854, are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and they can all be consulted there at the ScotlandsPeople Centre. The baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages and deaths / burials indexes can be searched at the ScotlandsPeople website. Copies of the register entries may be purchased.

Parish reference number: 401

The Old Parish Registers (OPRs) span the following dates (although there are gaps within these ranges):

Aberdour OPR Births / baptisms Proclamations / marriages Deaths / burials / mortcloths
401/1 1663-1749 1650-1682
1702-1749
1658-1669
401/2 1749-1819 1749-1819 1790-1819
401/3 1820-1854 1820-1854 1820-1854
Data supplied by General Register Office for Scotland

The Detailed List of the Old Parochial Registers of Scotland, published 1872, provides this information about the content of the OPRs, including the gaps within them:

B.  blank Jan. 1689 - Feb. 1691. Mothers' names not regularly recorded till about 1763.
M.  only transcribed entries of Contracts, etc. prior to Dec. 1669; blank July 1682 - Oct. 1702.
D.  (Burials.) Exc. entries of Earl of Morton's family, 1739 - 1848, on one page after M. for1819, the Record is blank from Oct. 1669 - April 1790. Mortcloth Dues, 1790 - Dec. 1816, after which Deaths and Burials are recorded.

Copies of the registers on microfilm may be consulted in some local libraries and at LDS Family Search Centres around the world. The indexes to baptisms / births and proclamations / marriages can also be searched on the LDS Family Search website or on the IGI on microfiche in local libraries.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

1040144 Items 3 - 5 Baptisms, 1663-1854; Marriages, 1650-1682, 1702-1855; Burials, 1658-1676, 1817-1854; Mortcloth dues (burial records), 1790-1817.
Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Deaths / burials are listed on Fife Family History Society's  Pre-1855 Fife Deaths CD.

Further information on the main Fife page.

Kirk Session records are held at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh. Details of church records here.

Heritors' Records (HR594) are at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh. Details of records here.

Other Churches :

Most records of other churches are held by the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh. Some records are still retained in the churches.

Some of the pre-1855 Episcopal Church registers have been transcribed and published.

Details of church records, transcriptions and indexes here.

The Aberdour page of the LDS Family Search Research Wiki has more information about church history and records.

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. Full information on the main Fife page.

Registration districts covering this parish:

Registration district number start date end date
Aberdour 401 1855 1967
Aberdour 401 1968 1971
Aberdour 434 1972 1993
Inverkeithing 436 1994 2002
Fife 436 2003  

Registration districts did not necessarily coincide exactly with parishes. In the 20th century especially, there were frequent changes in registration districts.

Court Records

Fife Family History Society have transcribed a list of Aberdour Jurors, 1851 on their Records pages.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Aberdour town centre Ordnance Survey Grid Reference GPS Post code Lat. 563'12"N
NT 190852 56.052778
-3.302105
KY3 0SJ Lon. 318'3"W

The parish includes the island of Inchcolm.

Surrounding parishes: Dalgety, Dunfermline, Beath, Auchtertool, Kinghorn, Burntisland.

Directories

The parish entry in Pigot's National Commercial Directory for the whole of Scotland, 1837, is online at Google Books.

Westwood's Parochial Directory for the Counties of Fife and Kinross for 1862 and 1866 are online at Google Books. On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website there is a transcription of the 1862 edition.

Gazetteers

There is a list of places in Aberdour parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.

Several old gazetteers are available. They all contain descriptions of the parish and many are also worth searching for entries of places within the parish.

Historical Geography

On 15th May 1891, a detached part of Aberdour parish was transferred to Kinghorn parish. The subjects transferred were Kilrie Farm (part) and Kilrie Gate.

A Vision of Britain provides historical descriptions, population & housing statistics, historic boundaries and maps.

History

Aberdour Castle is an Ancient Monument open to the public.

Land & Property

Details of historic buildings and archaeological sites in this parish held by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Edinburgh, are catalogued at ScotlandsPlaces. In the results, click RCAHMS. Unfortunately, not all entries have digital images.

Maps

Historic maps:

This British Library webpage uses small examples of historical maps of London to show the differences between maps at various scales.

Present-day maps:
Return to top of page

Military History

War graves can be seen at the Scottish Wargraves Project and war memorials can be seen at the Scottish War Memorials Project.

Names, Geographical

There is an index to the Ordnance Survey Object NameBooks for this parish here.

Obituaries

Andrew Campbell has produced Fife Deaths from Newspapers 1822-1854 - a compilation of deaths recorded in local newspapers. Copies of this index are held by the Fife libraries and the Family History Societies.

Fife Deaths Abroad 1855-1900 - a compilation of overseas deaths recorded in Fife newspapers - has been produced by Andrew Campbell of Fife Family History Society. The Society have re-published it in their Publications Series, 26.

Occupations

The parish is included in Andrew Campbell's compilation of Fife Shopkeepers and Traders 1820-1870 taken from newspapers and directories. It is available in most Fife reference libraries, in the libraries of the family history societies, and at the Manuscript Department of the Special Collections Department of St Andrews University Library. It is also available as Fife Traders and Shopkeepers on CD from Fife Family History Society.

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

The relief of paupers after 1845 was carried out by theParochial Board and later by the Parish Council. Their records are at the Fife Council Archive Centre. Details of records here.

Peter Higginbotham's website has a lot of information about Dunfermline combination poorhouse.

Population

Year Population
1755 1198
1801 1260
1851 1945
1901 1997  * boundary changed
1951 1943

There is a page with census statistics from 1755 to 1961 here.

See also A Vision of Britain and Histpop for population statistics.

Probate Records

Prior to 1824, wills, testaments & inventories of residents of Aberdour may be found in either the Dunkeld Commissariot (CC7), the St Andrews Commissariot (CC20) or the Edinburgh Commissariot (CC8) records. From 1824 to 1960, commissary business was conducted by the Sheriff Court of Fife at Cupar (SC20). From 1960, it has been conducted at Dunfermline (SC21) Sheriff Court.

Indexes and finding aids are given on the main Fife page.

Local sources worth searching for deeds include St Andrews Commissary Court and Cupar Sheriff Court.

Schools

School Board records and / or school logbooks are held at theFife Council Archive Centre. Details of records here.

Education statistics for Fife schools in 1891-2 list the following board schools in the parish:

School Board School Accommodation for scholars Average attendance
Aberdour Aberdour 184 118
Donibristle Colliery 167 144

Statistics

"Statistical accounts" giving fascinating insights into the local topography and history, social and economic conditions, and even the daily lives of people, were written by the parish ministers in the 1790s and the 1840s. For more information see the main Fife pages

Taxation

The hearth tax, clock & watch tax, male servants tax, female servants tax, and farm horse tax are all on ScotlandsPlaces.

Return to top of page

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a search engine? If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Problems?Find help, report problems, or contribute information

Page maintained by William McM. Owen : last updated 7 February, 2014