Anstruther Easter Parish Records


Church History

See also the Anstruther Wester page.

A church was first built within the district of Anstruther Easter in 1634 and a number of years later in 1641 the parish of Anstruther Easter was disjoined from that of Kilrenny and erected as a separate parish. In 1961 Anstruther Wester and Anstruther Easter were united together to form the session of Anstruther St Adrian's, and a further union followed in 1973 between Anstruther St Adrian's and Anstruther Chalmer's Memorial, under the name of Anstruther. The kirk session sits within the Presbytery of St Andrews.
In 1961 the charge of Anstruther St Adrian's was formed by the union of Anstruther Wester and Anstruther Easter, and a further union followed in 1973 between Anstruther St Adrian's and Anstruther Chalmer's Memorial, under the name of Anstruther. The kirk session sits within the Presbytery of St Andrews.
Anstruther Associate Burgher congregation was first established in 1818 at the request of a group who named themselves 'Managers of the Associate Society of Anstruther' and who expressed a wish in that year to the Presbytery of Perth that they be formed into a congregation and be supplied with a minister. In 1820 the Synod granted the congregation £20 to assist in the erection of a place of worship, and in the following year a church was erected, which was later replaced by a new building in 1852. The first minister of the congregation, John Thom, was ordained in 1825. The church became part of the United Presbyterian Church in 1847. Following the union of the United Presbyterian Church and the Free Church of Scotland in 1900, the charge became Anstruther Erskine, United Free Church and in 1904 the congregation of Anstruther Erskine was united to that of Anstruther Chalmers Memorial, after which time the Anstruther Erskine church was sold.
In 1843, at the time of the Disruption, the minister of Anstruther Easter adhered to the Free Church and established the congregation of Anstruther Free Church. A church to house the congregation was opened in 1844 and later replaced by a new building erected in 1858, which in turn was also superseded by a new construction in 1891. At the 1900 union of the Free Church and the United Presbyterians, Anstruther Free Church, which sat within the Presbytery of St Andrews, became Anstruther Chalmers Memorial, United Free Church.
Following the union of the United Presbyterian Church and the Free Church of Scotland in 1900, Anstruther Free Church, which sat within the Presbytery of St Andrews, became Anstruther Chalmers Memorial, United Free Church and in 1904 the congregation of Anstruther Erskine was united to that of Chalmers Memorial, after which time the Anstruther Erskine church was sold. Following the 1929 union of the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church, Anstruther Chalmers Memorial U.F. became Anstruther Chalmers Memorial, Church of Scotland and in 1973 a union was established with the charge of Anstruther St Adrian's, under the name of Anstruther.
Return to top of page

Church Records

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library, with digital copies of the earlier volumes at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:

Included in the Old Parochial Registers on microfilm and at the ScotlandsPeople Centre, Edinburgh but not online:

Return to top of page

Court Records

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:

Return to top of page

Heritors' Records

None known.
Return to top of page

Land & Property

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Occupations

Return to top of page

Parochial Board  /  Parish Council Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Return to top of page

School Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Entries less than 50 years old may contain sensitive personal information and are not on open access. If you are a former pupil you are entitled to see your own entry. Please contact the Archivist for further details.
Return to top of page

Taxation

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Town Records

Under the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1929 (19 &20 Geo. V, c.25) , the Fife royal burghs of Anstruther Easter and Anstruther Wester and the burgh of Kilrenny were amalgamated to create the United Burghs of Kilrenny, Anstruther Easter and Anstruther Wester. The Kilrenny, Anstruther Easter and Anstruther Wester Town Council was abolished in 1975.

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Return to top of page

Voting Registers

Return to top of page

Data provided by the  Scottish Archive Network (SCAN)