GENUKI Home page

Kingdom of Fife Kingdom of Fife Arngask Arngask

Arngask Parish Records



Church History

The church of Arngask was dedicated to St Columba and prior to the reformation belonged to the Abbey of Cambuskenneth. After the reformation the parish church stood vacant for a time and in 1625 Arngask was united with Strathmiglo. This union however was short lived and was later severed. Arngask was, of old , a parish of very small boundaries, until 1642 that is, when the areas of Easter and Wester Fordell, Paris, Deuglie, Blair, Plaines, Glendye and Glendye Milne were annexed form the parish of Forgandenny and added to Arngask. Arngask parish boundaries were further extended in 1669 when parts of Orwell and Stathmiglo were also annexed to Arngask. The present parish church was built in 1806, enlarged in 1821 and restored in 1879. Glenfarg was united with Arngask in 1943. The united session remained under the name of Arngask and was later linked with Abernethy and Dron in 1979. The kirk session sat within the Presbytery of Kinross and later of Perth.
Arngask Free Church was formed at the Disruption and a new church building erected at Glenfarg the following year (rebuilt 1906). It passed successively to the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland, but was reduced in status and then united with Glenfarg as Arngask in 1933. The Church of Scotland charge was in the presbytery of Perth and the synod of Perth and Stirling.
Return to top of page

Church Records

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Included in the Old Parochial Registers on microfilm and at the ScotlandsPeople Centre, Edinburgh but not online:

Return to top of page

Heritors' Records

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Land & Property

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Occupations

Return to top of page

Parochial Board  /  Parish Council Records

At the Perth and Kinross Council Archive, Perth:

Return to top of page

School Records

At the Perth and Kinross Council Archive, Perth:

Return to top of page

Taxation

Return to top of page


Voting Registers

Return to top of page

Data provided by the  Scottish Archive Network (SCAN)


Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a search engine? If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Problems?Find help, report problems, or contribute information

Page maintained by William McM. Owen : last updated 7 June, 2012