GENUKI Home page

Kingdom of Fife Kingdom of Fife Contents Contents Fife towns and parishes Fife Towns & Parishes Neighboursnearby places

Arngask

Map showing the location of the parish

"Arngask is a parish in the counties of Fife, Kinross, and Perth, 6 miles from Kinross, containing the villages of Damhead and Duncrivie. The parish is four miles from east to west, and about three from north to south." edited from Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1846.

Since 1891, Arngask parish has been part of Perthshire. Other parish information will be found on the GENUKI   Perthshire pages and the Kinross-shire pages.

Towns and Villages

Arngask
Glenfarg (previously Damhead)

Places in Arngask parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.


Please read the main Fife pages if you have not already done so.

Archives, Libraries and Museums

A separate Records Page page gives details of the records for this parish held by Scottish archives.

The ScotlandsPlaces website lets users search across national databases by geographical location. It includes, amongst other material,

Cemeteries

There are 2 cemeteries in Arngask parish:

1. Arngask Churchyard (grid ref. NO 139108, GPS: 56.2825, -3.3915):

2. Arngask Cemetery, Glenfarg (grid ref. NO 144104, GPS: 56.278318 -3.384057):

War memorials can be seen at the Scottish War Memorials Project.

Census

Parish / district reference number for 1841 - 1891 censuses: 404
District reference number for 1901 - 1911 censuses: 328c

Of the original 1841 returns, only those covering the Perthshire and Kinross-shire parts of the parish survive. Those for the Fife part of the parish are missing.

The 1841 return can be searched on the FreeCEN website.

The 1851 census has been indexed by the Tay Valley Family History Society.

Some census records on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family Search Centres around the world.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

  1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891
Arngask 1042699 1042252 103825 103986 203516 208746
Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Further information on the main Fife page.

Church History

In addition to the parish church, there was a Free Church at Glenfarg.

The Old Statistical Account (written in the 1790s) gives this information about Dissenters:

The New Statistical Account (written in 1841) has this to say:

Information and pictures of the churches at the Scottish Churches website.

Details of church history here.

Church Records

The Parish Church (Established Church, Church of Scotland):

The original Old Parish Registers (of baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages, and deaths / burials) of the Church of Scotland, which cover the years up to 1854, are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and they can all be consulted there at the ScotlandsPeople Centre. The baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages and deaths / burials indexes can be searched at the ScotlandsPeople website. Copies of the register entries may be purchased.

Parish reference number: 404

The Old Parish Registers (OPRs) span the following dates (although there are gaps within these ranges):

Arngask OPR Births / baptisms Proclamations / marriages Deaths / burials / mortcloths
404/1a 1688-1706 1688-1706  1702-1703
404/1b 1707-1726 1707-1726 1707-1726
404/2 1726-1747 1726-1748 1726-1748
404/3 1748-1782 1748-1780 1748-1780
404/4 1783-1819 1780-1819 1780-1819
404/5 1820-1854 1820-1854  1820-1854
Data supplied by General Register Office for Scotland

The Detailed List of the Old Parochial Registers of Scotland, published 1872, provides this information about the content of the OPRs, including the gaps within them:

B.  (Baptisms), M.  (Proclamations and Marriages), and D.  (Burials and Mortcloth Dues) prior to 1711 intermixed with other matters. B. and M. blank Sept. 1699 - Dec. 1704. No entry of M. Nov. 1730 - July 1732. B. and M. intermixed 1711 - 1747. Separate Record of B. after Jan. 1748. Exc. Jan. 1748 - Jan. 1752, Mothers' names not recorded. From 1711 - 1748, Proclamations and Burials, and Mortcloth Dues, and from 1748, Proclamations and Mortcloth Dues, are intermixed with other matters. There is also, however, a separate Record of Deaths and Burials April 1748 - May 1753 on a leaf at end of vol. 3.

Copies of the registers on microfilm may be consulted in some local libraries and at LDS Family Search Centres around the world. The indexes to baptisms / births and proclamations / marriages can also be searched on the LDS Family Search website or on the IGI on microfiche in local libraries.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

1040148 Item 1 Session book (includes Marriage proclamations, Mortcloth dues), 1829-1855.
1040147 Items 3 - 7 Session book (includes Baptisms, Marriage proclamations), 1686-1711; Baptisms, 1711-1854; Marriages, 1711-1747; Session book (includes Marriage proclamations, Mortcloth dues [burial records]), 1711-1829; Burials, 1748-1753.
Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Deaths / burials are listed on Fife Family History Society's  Pre-1855 Fife Deaths CD.

Further information on the main Fife page.

Kirk Session records are held at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh. Some Kirk Session material is to be found in the OPR records (404/1-5). Details of church records here.

Heritors' Records (HR457) are at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh. Details of records here.

Other Churches :

Records for the Free Church are at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh. Details of church records here.

The Arngask page of the LDS Family Search Research Wiki has more information about church history and records.

Civil Registration

Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. Full information on the main Fife page.

Registration districts covering this parish:

Registration district number start date end date
Arngask 404 1855 1893
Arngask 328c 1894 1968
Perth 387 1969 1971
Perth 390 1972 2003
Perth & Kinross 390 2004  

Registration districts did not necessarily coincide exactly with parishes. In the 20th century especially, there were frequent changes in registration districts.

Description & Travel

Glenfarg village centre Ordnance Survey Grid Reference GPS Post code Lat. 5616'41"N
NO 139108 56.278119
-3.401816
PH2 9NW Lon. 324'7"W

Surrounding parishes: in Fife: Strathmiglo, in Perthshire: Abernethy, Forteviot, Forgandenny, Dron, in Kinross-shire: Orwell.

Directories

Westwood's Parochial Directory for the Counties of Fife and Kinross for 1862 (see also at page 223), and 1866 (see also page 164), are online at Google Books. On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website there is a transcription of the 1862 edition. All listings cover only the parts of the parish which are in Fife and Kinross-shire.

Gazetteers

There is a list of places in Arngask parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.

Several old gazetteers are available. They all contain descriptions of the parish and many are also worth searching for entries of places within the parish.

Historical Geography

Until 15th May 1891, the parish of Arngask was situated partly in the county of Fife, partly in the county of Kinross and partly in the county of Perth. On that date, various changes to the parish and county boundaries were made and from that date the whole parish of Arngask was included in the county of Perth.

Before 15 May 1891:

in Fife: in Kinross-shire: in Perthshire:
Arngask House Barley Mill Abbotsdeuglie
Balcanquhal House Birniehill Abbotsdeuglie Cottage
Balvaird Smithy Broomhall Berryknowe
Blindwell Calfford Bridge Blairstruie
Burial Ground Candy Blairstruie Cottage
Cemetery Craigfarg Damhead (part)
Conland Damhead (part) Damhead Smithy
Damhead (part) Duncrevie Downhill
Edenhead Duncrevie Cottage Easter Abbotsdeughlie
Foresterseat Duncrevie House Easter Fordel
Gallows Knowe East Blair Eastertown / Easterton
Glenfarg (part) Free Church Fordel
Hays Mill Glendy Mill Fordel Cottage
Letham Glenfarg (part) Glendeughlie
Letham Bridge Hayfield Mill Glenfarg (part)
Letham Cottages Hilton of Crevie Glenfarg Cottage
Manse Hilton of Duncrevie Glenhead Cottage
Muirfield Kandy Hayfield
New Fargie Cottages Langside Letham Bridge
New Fargie Farm Ledgerhead Lochelbank
New Fargie House Lossley Bridge Lustylaw
Newton of Balcanquhal Low Plains Manse (Free Church)
North Conland Plains Middle Deuglie
Old Arngask Church Rashiefauld North Hayfield
Old Fargie Redfordnook Paris Bridge
Old Fargie Cottage Smithyhill Paris Cottage
Old Manse Thievesmill Bridge Scarhill
Pittillock West Blair Wellies / Well Eyes
Prins Pendicle   Wester Abbotsdeuglie
School   Wester Deuglie
Smiths Pendicle   Wester Fordel
Summerfield    

After 15 May 1891, all places are in Perthshire.

Land & Property

Details of historic buildings and archaeological sites in this parish held by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Edinburgh, are catalogued at ScotlandsPlaces. In the results, click RCAHMS. Unfortunately, not all entries have digital images.

Maps

Historic maps:

This British Library webpage uses small examples of historical maps of London to show the differences between maps at various scales.

Present-day maps:

Military History

War memorials can be seen at the Scottish War Memorials Project.

The parishes of Abernethy, Arngask, Culross and Tulliallan parishes will be included in the Perthshire Milita collection, 1680-1891, located at the Perth and Kinross Council Archive, Perth. Several databases are searchable online.

Names, Geographical

There is an index to the Ordnance Survey Object NameBooks for this parish here.

Obituaries

Fife Deaths Abroad 1855-1900 - a compilation of overseas deaths recorded in Fife newspapers - has been produced by Andrew Campbell of Fife Family History Society. The Society have re-published it in their Publications Series, 28.

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

The relief of paupers after 1845 was carried out by the Parochial Board and later by the Parish Council. Their records are at the Perth and Kinross Council Archive. Details of records here.

Population

Year Fife Population Kinross-shire Population Perthshire Population Total Population
1755       736
1801  176 184 204 564
1851  282 212  195  689
1901 * boundary changed     593
1951     707

There is a page with census statistics from 1755 to 1961 here.

See also A Vision of Britain and Histpop for population statistics.

Return to top of page

Probate Records

Prior to 1824, wills, testaments & inventories of residents of Arngask may be found in the Dunkeld Commissariot (CC7),  the St Andrews Commissariot (CC20) or the Edinburgh Commissariot (CC8) records. From 1824, commissary business was conducted by the Sheriff Court of Fife at Cupar (SC20) or Perth Sheriff Court (SC49) At a later date (possibly after 1891) all commissary business was transferred to Perth Sheriff Court.

Indexes and finding aids are given on the main Fife page.

Local sources worth searching for deeds include St Andrews Commissary Court, Perth Sheriff Court, and Perth Registers of Deeds. An index to the Perth Register of Deeds, 1566-1811, is online at Ancestry.co.uk.

Schools

School records are at the Perth and Kinross Council Archive. Details of records here.

Statistics

"Statistical accounts" giving fascinating insights into the local topography and history, social and economic conditions, and even the daily lives of people, were written by the parish ministers in the 1790s and the 1840s. For more information see the main Fife pages

Taxation

The hearth tax, clock & watch tax, male servants tax, female servants tax, and farm horse tax are all on ScotlandsPlaces.

Return to top of page

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a search engine? If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Problems?Find help, report problems, or contribute information

Page maintained by William McM. Owen : last updated 19 September, 2013