Auchtermuchty Parish Records


Church History

Auchtermuchty Church was first consecrated by Bishop de Bernham on 31 March 1245 and in 1350 it was granted by the Earl of Fife, out of gratitude for his escape at the battle of Durham, to the Abbey of Lindores. The present day church was erected in 1780. In 1952, following the union of the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church in 1929, Auchtermuchty old parish church was joined with the former United Free church congregation of Auchtermuchty St Stephen's. After the union the congregation continued under the name of Auchtermuchty and the former St Stephen's church and manse were sold. The kirk session formerly sat within the Presbytery of Cupar and presently falls under the jurisdiction of the Presbytery of St Andrews.
The Auchtermuchty Associate (Burgher) congregation, which sat within the Presbytery of Cupar, commenced during the year 1748, but the origin of the secession congregation can be taken back to 1738, when a praying society within the parish of Auchtermuchty acceded to the Associate Presbytery. The reason for the establishment of the charge was to provide a meeting place for families who had been drawn away from their own ministers at Leslie and Ceres and also at Abernethy and Orwell. The first church to house the congregation was built in 1750, and the first Burgher minister was inducted in 1752. The congregation continued, bearing the name Auchtermuchty East, apparently falling later within the United Secession Church (from 1820) and from 1847 within the United Presbyterian Church, when it was within the Presbytery of Cupar. A new church was opened in 1846. During the 1850s the congregation declined, partly as Auchtermuchty's population was falling. The decision was taken to merge the two U.P. sessions of Auchtermuchty East and Auchtermuchty West, to form the charge of Auchtermuchty South. The union took place on 23 April 1873 and the East Church, being the newer of the two buildings, was appointed as the place of worship of the new South Church congregation. Following the union of the United Presbyterian Church and the Free Church of Scotland in 1900 Auchtermuchty South became Auchtermuchty South United Free Church.
see Auchtermuchty Associate Session above
During the 19th century the United Presbyterian congregations of Auchtermuchty experienced dwindling numbers and thus the decision was taken to merge the two U.P. sessions of Auchtermuchty East and Auchtermuchty West, to form the charge of Auchtermuchty South. The union took place on 23 April 1873 and the East Church, being the newer of the two buildings, was appointed as the place of worship of the new South Church congregation. Following the union of the United Presbyterian Church and the Free Church of Scotland in 1900 Auchtermuchty South became Auchtermuchty South United Free Church and in 1923 a union was established with Auchtermuchty Martyrs. Following this local union the name of the congregation became simply Auchtermuchty United Free Church, and the former South church remained in use as the place of worship, with the former Martyrs church being converted for use as a church hall. In 1929, when the United Free Church joined with the Church of Scotland, the congregation was termed Auchtermuchty St Stephen's and in 1952 St Stephen's united with the parish church of Auchtermuchty Old. After the union the congregation continued under the name of Auchtermuchty and the former St Stephen's church and manse were sold. The kirk session presently falls within the Presbytery of St Andrews.
The Antiburgher congregation of Auchtermuchty North was set up in 1783, the same year in which the church was erected. The establishment of Auchtermuchty North was the result of a request from Antiburgher families for a meeting place within the district of Auchtermuchty, having had for forty years prior to 1783 to travel a considerable distant to the nearest Antiburgher church located at Abernethy. James Browning, the first minister of Auchermuchty North, was ordained in 1785. The church came within the United Presbyterian Church, Presbytery of Cupar, in 1847. In 1850 the old church was replaced by a new and more commodious building, although the congregation declined later in the century, partly as Auchtermuchty's population fell. Following the union of the United Presbyterian Church and the Free Church of Scotland in 1900, the charge became Auchtermuchty United Free Church, and in 1910 the congregation was dissolved and the church and manse sold.
The congregation of Auchtermuchty Free Church was established at the time of the Disruption in 1843 and services began in a church erected for the congregation in that same year. Following the union of the United Presbyterian Church and the Free Church of Scotland in 1900, Auchtermuchty Free Church became Auchtermuchty Martyrs United Free Church and in 1923 a union was established with Auchtermuchty South. Following this local union the name of the congregation became simply Auchtermuchty United Free Church, and the former South church was used as the place of worship, with the former Martyrs church being converted for use as a church hall. In 1929, when the United Free Church joined with the Church of Scotland, the congregation was termed Auchtermuchty St Stephen's and in 1952 St Stephen's united with the parish church of Auchtermuchty Old. After the union the charge continued under the name of Auchtermuchty and the former St Stephen's church and manse were sold. The kirk session presently falls within the Presbytery of St Andrews.
Return to top of page

Church Records

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library, with digital copies of the earlier volumes at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:

Included in the Old Parochial Registers on microfilm and at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh but not online:

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh but not online:

Return to top of page

Court Records

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:

Return to top of page

Heritors' Records

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Land & Property

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:

Return to top of page

Occupations

Return to top of page

Parochial Board  /  Parish Council Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:

Return to top of page

School Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Entries less than 50 years old may contain sensitive personal information and are not on open access. If you are a former pupil you are entitled to see your own entry. Please contact the Archivist for further details.
Return to top of page

Taxation

Return to top of page

Town Records

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:

Return to top of page

Voting Registers

Return to top of page

Data provided by the  Scottish Archive Network (SCAN)