Ballingry

Description of the parish in 1857

Map showing the location of the parish

"The parish is about 4 miles long and 2 miles in breadth. It is bounded on the north by Portmoak, on the west by Cleish, on the south by Beath & Auchterderran, and on the east by Kinglassie and Auchterderran. About 1 square mile of the parish forms a detached portion, separated from the main part by the parish of Portmoak. The parish covers about 5000 acres, 2840 under cultivation, 1920 under pasture and 234 under wood. The only hill is Benarty, the south side of which is well planted. Oats is the grain most generally sown, but barley, wheat, peas and beans are also grown. Coal is extensively wrought, the annual value being about £10,000. The limestone to be found in the parish is not good. There is a parish school and a Sabbath school. There are 2 public houses, not too well employed, indicating the sober habits of the people." from A Descriptive & historic gazeteer of the counties of Fife, Kinross & Clackmannan by M Barbieri, published 1857.

Towns and Villages

Ballingry
Lochore
Lumphinnans

Places in Ballingry parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.


Please read the main Fife pages if you have not already done so.

Archives, Libraries and Museums

A separate Records Page page gives details of the records for this parish held by Scottish archives.

The ScotlandsPlaces website lets users search across national databases by geographical location. It includes, amongst other material,

Bibliography

A very good description is to be found in the relevant chapter in History of the County of Fife: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time by John M Leighton, published 1840, online at Google Books.

Cemeteries

There are 2 cemeteries in Ballingry parish:

1. Ballingry Old Churchyard, Hill Road, Ballingry (grid ref. NT 174976, GPS: 56.163882 -3.331628):

2. Ballingry Cemetery, Drumhead, Hill Road, Ballingry (grid ref. NT 176977, GPS: 56.164815 -3.328439):

Census

Parish / district reference number for 1841 - 1901 censuses: 408

The 1841 return can be searched on the FreeCEN website.

The 1851 census has been indexed and published by the Tay Valley Family History Society.

Some census records on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family Search Centres around the world.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

  1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891
Ballingry 1042699 1042253 103825 103987 203517 208748
Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Further information on the main Fife page.

Return to top of page

Church History

In addition to the parish church, there was also a Church of Scotland at Lochcraig and a Free Church at Lumphinnans.

The Old Statistical Account (written in the 1790s) gives this information about Dissenters:

The New Statistical Account (written in 1837) gives this information:

The 1865 Ecclesiastical Directory lists only the parish church.

Information and pictures of the churches at the Scottish Churches website.

Details of church history here.

Church Records

The Parish Church (Established Church, Church of Scotland):

The original Old Parish Registers (of baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages, and deaths / burials) of the Church of Scotland, which cover the years up to 1854, are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and they can all be consulted there at the National Records of Scotland. The baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages and deaths / burials indexes can be searched at the ScotlandsPeople website. Copies of the register entries may be purchased.

Parish reference number: 408

The Old Parish Registers (OPRs) span the following dates (although there are gaps within these ranges):

Ballingry OPR Births / baptisms Proclamations / marriages Deaths / burials / mortcloths
408/1 1670-1819 1670-1819 1669-1793
408/2 1820-1854 1820-1854  
408/3 (not on OPR microfilm) 1701-1721 1706-1721 1729-1798
Data supplied by the National Records of Scotland

The Detailed List of the Old Parochial Registers of Scotland, published 1872, provides this information about the content of the OPRs, including the gaps within them:

B.  M.  and D.  1670 - 1701 are recorded in parallel cols. of the same pages. M. appear defective 1695 - 1701; but there are separate  entries of Contracts, which to some extent supplement the Record. B. and M. blank 1701 - 1722, from which date till 1745 they are usually entered on alternate pp. of the same Register. Blank (exc. a few irregular entries) 1745 - 1754. No entry of M. for 1819.
D.  Burials to Dec. 1684; Deaths 1685 - 1701 inclusive. Record wanting 1701 - 1783; there is, however, a leaf containing irregular entries1640 - 1717.
[Subsequent to publication of the Detailed List, records were found within other Church of Scotland records (CH2/382/2) which contain Baptisms 1701 - 1721, 1755 (1 entry), Marriages 1706 - 1721 and Deaths 1729 - 1798 (one leaf). These are now included in the OPR Records as 408/3.]

Copies of the registers on microfilm may be consulted in some local libraries and at LDS Family Search Centres around the world. The indexes to baptisms / births and proclamations / marriages can also be searched on the LDS Family Search website or on the IGI on microfiche in local libraries.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

1040194 Items 3 - 5 Baptisms, 1670-1701, 1722-1854; Marriages, 1670-1701, 1722-1745, 1758-1856; Burials, 1670-1701, 1783-1793; Session book (includes Marriage proclamations and Mortcloth dues [burial records]), 1685-1701; Baptisms, 1701-1721, 1755; Marriages, 1706-1722; Burials, 1729- 1761.
304667 Item 8 Kirk sessions records, baptisms, 1701-1721, marriages, 1706-1722, deaths, 1729-1798 (fragmentary)
Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Deaths / burials are listed on Fife Family History Society's  Pre-1855 Fife Deaths CD.

Further information on the main Fife page.

Kirk Session records are held at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh. Some Kirk Session material is to be found in the OPR records (408/1). Details of church records here.

Heritors' Records (HR305) are at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh. Details of records here.

Other Churches :

Records of other churches are held by the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh

Details of church records here.

The Ballingry page of the LDS Family Search Research Wiki has more information about church history and records.

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. Full information on the main Fife page.

Registration districts covering this parish:

Registration district number start date end date
Ballingry 408 1855 1908
Lochore 408/1 1909 1930
Lochore 408 1931 1971
Lochore 426 1972 2000
Benarty 426 2000 2002
Fife 426 2003  
Lumphinnans 408/2 1909 1930
Lochgelly 405/2 1931 1971
Lochgelly 429 1972 2002
Fife 429 2003  

Registration districts did not necessarily coincide exactly with parishes. In the 20th century especially, there were frequent changes in registration districts.

Court Records

Fife Family History Society have transcribed a list of Ballingry Jurors, 1851 on the Records pages of their website.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Ballingry town centre Ordnance Survey Grid Reference GPS Post code Lat. 569'54"N
NT 177977 56.164832
-3.326829
KY5 8NR Lon. 319'23"W

Surrounding parishes: in Fife: Beath, Auchterderran; in Kinross-shire: Cleish, Portmoak.

The Lost Village of Glencraig website is an excellent source of information.

Directories

Westwood's Parochial Directory for the Counties of Fife and Kinross for 1862 and 1866 are online at Google Books. On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website there is a transcription of the 1862 edition.

Gazetteers

There is a list of places in Ballingry parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.

Several old gazetteers are available. They all contain descriptions of the parish and many are also worth searching for entries of places within the parish.

Historical Geography

Before May 1891, the parish of Ballingry consisted of 3 separate parts. A detached portion lay to the north-east of the main part, sparated from it by the parish of Portmoak. The boundary between Fife and Kinross had been the River Leven. However, a new river channel was cut between 1826 and 1836. On 15th May 1891, the new river channel became the county boundary. The following subjects, north of the new channel, were transferred from the parish of Ballingry and the county of Fife to the parish of Portmoak and the county of Kinross: part of Wester Balbeadie and part of Craigend (which became parts of Kinneston & Bowhouse). The remaider of this detached portion was transferred from Ballingry to Kinglassie parish: Easter Balbeadie and parts of Craigend and Wester Balbeadie. The second detached portion of Ballingry was completely surrounded by Auchterderran parish and this portion (comprising Brigghills and Spittal) was all transferred to Auchterderran.

A Vision of Britain provides historical descriptions, population & housing statistics, historic boundaries and maps.

Land & Property

Details of historic buildings and archaeological sites in this parish held by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Edinburgh, are catalogued at ScotlandsPlaces. In the results, click RCAHMS. Unfortunately, not all entries have digital images.

Maps

Historic maps:

This British Library webpage uses small examples of historical maps of London to show the differences between maps at various scales.

Present-day maps:
Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

There is an index to the Ordnance Survey Object Name Books for this parish here.

Obituaries

Andrew Campbell has produced Fife Deaths from Newspapers 1822-1854 - a compilation of deaths recorded in local newspapers. Copies of this index are held by the Fife libraries and the Family History Societies.

Fife Deaths Abroad 1855-1900 - a compilation of overseas deaths recorded in Fife newspapers - has been produced by Andrew Campbell of Fife Family History Society. The Society have re-published it in their Publications Series, 26.

Occupations

The parish is included in Andrew Campbell's compilation of Fife Shopkeepers and Traders 1820-1870 taken from newspapers and directories. It is available in most Fife reference libraries, in the libraries of the family history societies, and at the Manuscript Department of the Special Collections Department of St Andrews University Library. It is also available as Fife Traders and Shopkeepers on CD from Fife Family History Society.

The Scottish Mining website has extensive information about mining in Fife in general and in this parish in particular.

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

The relief of paupers after 1845 was carried out by the Parochial Board and later by the Parish Council. Their records are at the Fife Council Archive Centre. Details of records here.

Peter Higginbotham's website has a lot of information about Dunfermline combination poorhouse.

Population

Year Population
1755 464
1801 277
1851 568
1901 4156  * boundary changed
1951 13830

There is a page with census statistics from 1755 to 1961 here.

See also A Vision of Britain and Histpop for population statistics.

Probate Records

Prior to 1824, wills, testaments & inventories of residents of Ballingry may be found in either the St Andrews Commissariot (CC20) or the Edinburgh Commissariot (CC8) records. From 1824 to 1960, commissary business was conducted by the Sheriff Court of Fife at Cupar (SC20). From 1960, it has been conducted at Dunfermline (SC21) Sheriff Court.

Indexes and finding aids are given on the main Fife page.

Local sources worth searching for deeds include St Andrews Commissary Court and Cupar Sheriff Court.

Schools

School Board records and / or school logbooks are held at the Fife Council Archive Centre. Details of records here.

Education statistics for Fife schools in 1891-2 list the following board schools in the parish:

School Board School Accommodation for scholars Average attendance
Ballingry Ballingry 250 171

Statistics

"Statistical accounts" giving fascinating insights into the local topography and history, social and economic conditions, and even the daily lives of people, were written by the parish ministers in the 1790s and the 1840s. For more information see the main Fife pages

Taxation

The hearth tax, clock & watch tax, male servants tax, female servants tax, and farm horse tax are all on ScotlandsPlaces.

Return to top of page