GENUKI Home page

Kingdom of Fife Kingdom of Fife Beath Beath

Beath Parish Records - work in progress



Church History

The Church of Beath was granted to the Abbey of Inchcolm prior to year 1178 and was subsequently annexed to Dalgety. Beath sustained an attachment to Dalgety after the reformation and up to the year 1611, when the church of Dalgety and the church of Beath were united to Aberdour. This arrangement however did not prove satisfactory and the union with Aberdour lasted only until 1643, when Beath was disjoined and re-erected as a separate parish. The parish church of Beath had been rebuilt in 1640, three years prior to the disjunction. In 1962 Beath was linked with the charge of Cowdenbeath Guthrie Memorial. This arrangement continued after the 1972 union of Cowdenbeath Guthrie Memorial and Lumphinnans, who were united under the name of Cowdenbeath North, and in 1998 Beath and Cowdenbeath North united together to form the charge of Beath and Cowdenbeath North. The Kirk Session sat within the Presbytery of Dunfermline, later of Dunfermline and Kinross and, following the restructuring of the Presbyteries in 1976, it became part of the Presbytery of Dunfermline once again.
see under Ballingry
Cowdenbeath Free Church was established as a station in 1856. The church was opened in 1863, but replaced in 1891, the year the charge was finally sanctioned. It passed successively to the United Free Church, as Cowdenbeath Guthrie, and to the Church of Scotland, as Cowdenbeath Guthrie Memorial, which was first reduced in status, in 1945, linked with Beath in 1962, and united with Lumphinnans in 1972 as Cowdenbeath North. The Church of Scotland charge was in the presbytery of Dunfermline and Kinross and the synod of Fife.
Cowdenbeath United Presbyterian Church began in 1883 under Dunfermline presbytery, in what was then a large mining village. A church building was opened in 1884. It transferred to the United Free Church, as Cowdenbeath Cairns, and subsequently to the Church of Scotland. The Church of Scotland charge was in the presbytery of Dunfermline and Kinross and the synod of Fife.
The churches of Cowdenbeath West, Cairns and Mossgreen Crossgates united in November 1998 to form Cowdenbeath Trinity Church.
see under Dalgety
see under Dunfermline
The parish of Kelty was erected in 1925 when it was disjoined from that of Beath, a mission chapel, which became the parish church, had been built here a number of years prior in 1894 . Following the union of the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church in 1929, Kelty parish church became termed Kelty Oakfield and in 1974 Kelty Oakfield was united with the congregation of Kelty North, under the name of Kelty once more. The kirk session, which remains active today, presently sits within the Presbytery of Dunfermline.
Kelty Free Church was formed at the Disruption, when the minister of Cleish and many of his congregation adhered to the Free Church. A church was erected soon afterwards. It passed successively to the United Free Church, as Kelty Moray, and to the Church of Scotland, when Kelty North was formed by the union of Kelty Moray and Kelty Trinity. Kelty North in turn united with Kelty Oakfield as Kelty in 1974. The Church of Scotland charge was in the presbytery of Dunfermline and Kinross and the synod of Fife.
Kelty, Trinity United Presbyterian Church was opened as a mission station by Dunfermline Presbytery in 1894, in what was then a mining village north of Cowdenbeath. The first minister was ordained in 1898. It passed successively to the United Free Church, as Kelty Trinity, and to the Church of Scotland, as Kelty North, a union of Kelty Moray and Kelty Trinity. Kelty North united with Kelty Oakfield as Kelty in 1974. The Church of Scotland charge was in the presbytery of Dunfermline and Kinross and the synod of Fife.
The congregation of Lassodie Free Church was established in 1866 as a mission station to serve the needs of the growing mining population of Lassodie. The church was erected in 1869 and the charge was later sanctioned in 1874. Lassodie F.C. originally sat within the Presbytery of Kinross but was transferred in 1881, at the request of the minister, to that of Dunfermline. In 1900, upon the union of the Free Church and the United Presbyterians, Lassodie Free Church was renamed Lassodie United Free Church and following the 1900 union between the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland, Lassodie U.F. became Lassodie Church of Scotland. A union was established with the session of Kingseat in 1930 and the charge was reduced to the status of a mission station, which was later attached in 1933 to the congregation of Dunfermline Townhill.
Return to top of page

Church Records

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Included in the Old Parochial Registers on microfilm and at the ScotlandsPeople Centre, Edinburgh but not online:

At the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City, USA, but available on microfilm at LDS Family History Centres around the world:
Return to top of page

Heritors' Records

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Land & Property

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Return to top of page

Occupations

Return to top of page

Parochial Board  /  Parish Council Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Return to top of page

School Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Entries less than 50 years old may contain sensitive personal information and are not on open access. If you are a former pupil you are entitled to see your own entry. Please contact the Archivist for further details.
Return to top of page

Town Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

At the Local History Department, Dunfermline Carnegie Library:

Return to top of page

Voting Registers

Return to top of page

Data provided by the  Scottish Archive Network (SCAN)


Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a search engine? If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Problems?Find help, report problems, or contribute information

Page maintained by William McM. Owen : last updated 11 April, 2009