Burntisland Parish Records


Church History

TheBurntisland Online website has a lot of information about Burntisland churches (click on 'Churches').

The original Parish church in Burntisland was first erected at the Kirkton in 1243, on land granted by King David. Prior to the reformation the church, which was dedicated to St Serf, belonged to the Abbey of Dunfermline. In 1592 a new and more substantial church was built in the town, and it was here in 1601, due to an outbreak of plague within Edinburgh, that the General Assembly met. In 1977, Burntisland Parish Church was united with the former United Free congregation of Burntisland St Andrew's. A link was formed with Auchtertool on the same date however this was later terminated in 1987. The kirk session sits within the Presbytery of Kirkcaldy.
Burntisland Free Church, Presbytery of Kirkcaldy, was established at the Disruption in 1843. Until a church was opened in 1846 the congregation worshipped outside or in a temporary accommodation.The congregation continued as a mission until 1854. In 1857 a school and teachers' house were built at East Wemyss. After the union in 1900 of the Free Church and the United Presbyterian Church, the congregation became Burntisland Couper United Free Church. In 1900 following the union of the United Free Church with the Church of Scotland, the church became Burntisland Church of Scotland. In 1930 the pro-union part of Erskine Church united with this charge and the name was changed to Burntisland St Andrews Church of Scotland. In 1969 the charge was linked with Auchtertool Church. In 1977 Burntisland St Andrew's united with Burntisland St Columba's as Burntisland Church of Scotland. The united charge was linked with Auchtertool until 1987.
-
Return to top of page

Church Records

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Included in the Old Parochial Registers on microfilm and at the ScotlandsPeople Centre, Edinburgh but not online:

Return to top of page

Court Records

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website there is an index to Burntisland Burgh Register of Deeds (1731-1874).

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Return to top of page

Heritors' Records

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Land & Property

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Occupations

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Parochial Board  /  Parish Council Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Return to top of page

School Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Entries less than 50 years old may contain sensitive personal information and are not on open access. If you are a former pupil you are entitled to see your own entry. Please contact the Archivist for further details.
Return to top of page

Taxation

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:


Return to top of page

Town Records

At the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh:

On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website there is an index to Burntisland Burgh Register of Deeds (1731-1874).

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

There is an itemised listing of the records held by the Fife Council Archives at Burntisland Online (click on 'Sources').
Return to top of page

Data provided by the  Scottish Archive Network (SCAN)