GENUKI Home page

Kingdom of Fife Kingdom of Fife Contents Contents Fife towns and parishes Fife Towns & Parishes Neighboursnearby places

Burntisland

Map showing the location of the parish

"Burntisland parish lies across the River Forth from Granton. It is bounded by Aberdour and Kinghorn, and measures 2.5 miles from north to south by 2 miles from east to west. There is a quarry of excellent freestone and excellent limestone abounds. The ruins of the original parish church stand at Kirkton. There is a very extensive distillery at Grange. The Royal Burgh of Burntisland is a seaport and is the Fife terminus of the E P & D Railway from Granton. The town consists of 2 parallel streets with some lanes running between them. The High Street is broad and spacious. The harbour, reckoned the best on the Forth, is spacious and has a great depth of water. It also has a dry dock, and a lighthouse stands at its entrance. The harbour exports pig iron and coal. In addition to the parish church, there are an Episcopalian Church, a Free Church and a UP Church." edited from Westwood's Directory for the counties of Fife & Kinross published 1862.

Towns and Villages

Burntisland

Places in Burntisland parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.


Please read the main Fife pages if you have not already done so.

Archives, Libraries and Museums

A separate Records Page page gives details of the records for this parish held by Scottish archives.

The ScotlandsPlaces website lets users search across national databases by geographical location. It includes, amongst other material,

Bibliography

A very good description is to be found in the relevant chapter in History of the County of Fife: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time by John M Leighton, published 1840, online at Google Books.

History of Burntisland, Andrew Young, 1913, is online at the Internet Archive.

Old Burntisland (Stenlake Publishing) contains many photographs and full descriptions.

Cemeteries

There are 3 cemeteries in Burntisland parish:

1. Kirkton Churchyard, Church Street, Burntisland (grid ref. NT 230865, GPS: 56.065116 -3.238273):

2. St Columba's Parish Churchyard, East Leven Street, Burntisland (grid ref. NT 235856, GPS: 56.057112 -3.229987):

3. Burntisland Cemetery, Kinghorn Road, Burntisland (grid ref. NT 245864, GPS: 56.064457 -3.214159):

Monumental inscriptions are listed in Fifeshire Monumental Inscriptions (pre-1855) vol. 2 The western parishes by John Fowler Mitchell & Sheila Mitchell, published by the Scottish Genealogy Society. ISBN 0901061972

War graves can be seen at the Scottish Wargraves Project and war memorials can be seen at the Scottish War Memorials Project.

Census

Parish / district reference number for 1841 - 1901 censuses: 411

Of the original 1841 returns, only those covering the Burgh survive. Those for the landward part of the parish, including Kirkton, are missing.

The 1841 and 1851 returns can be searched on the FreeCEN website.

The 1851 census has been indexed and published by the Tay Valley Family History Society.

Some census records on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family Search Centres around the world.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

  1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891
Burntisland 1042699 1042253 103825 103987 203517 208749
Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Further information on the main Fife page.

Return to top of page

Church History

In addition to the parish church, there was a Free Church, an Episcopal Church and an Antiburgher Congregation (later United Presbyterian Church).

The Old Statistical Account (written in the 1790s) gives this information about Dissenters:

The New Statistical Account (written in 1836) gives this information:

A census of Religious Worship and Education was taken in 1851 at the same time as the census of population. A table of statistics about the churches in Fife at this time is available here. The statistics for the separate burghs were also given. Those for Burntisland are as follows:

Burntisland (Parliamentary Burgh): Population of Parish 3158, Population of Burgh 2724:

Religious Denomination Number of Places of Worship Number of Sittings Number of Attendants at Public Worship on Sunday March 30 1851 (including Sunday Scholars)
Free Appropriated Total Morning Afternoon Evening
Established Church 1   755 755 310 324 264
United Presbyterian Church 1     598 396 430 200
Free Church 1 750   750 340 370  
Episcopal Church 1 123   123 40 83  
Total 4 873 755 2226 1086 1207 464

Source: Census of Great Britain, 1851, Religious worship and education. Scotland. Report and tables. British Parliamentary Papers 1854 LIX (1764).

The 1865 Ecclesiastical Directory lists the parish church, the Episcopal Church (St. Serf's), the United Presbyterian Church and the Free Church.

Information and pictures of the churches at the Scottish Churches website.

Details of church history here.

Church Records

The Parish Church (Established Church, Church of Scotland):

The original Old Parish Registers (of baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages, and deaths / burials) of the Church of Scotland, which cover the years up to 1854, are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and they can all be consulted there at the ScotlandsPeople Centre. The baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages and deaths / burials indexes can be searched at the ScotlandsPeople website. Copies of the register entries may be purchased.

Parish reference number: 411

The Old Parish Registers (OPRs) span the following dates (although there are gaps within these ranges):

Burntisland OPR Births / baptisms Proclamations / marriages Deaths / burials / mortcloths
411/1 1672-1686 1653-1686  
411/2 1701-1777 1701-1777 1734-1743
411/3 1778-1819 1778-1819 1806-1818
411/4 1820-1854 1820-1854 1825-1848
Register of Neglected Entries 1853-1854    
Data supplied by General Register Office for Scotland

The Detailed List of the Old Parochial Registers of Scotland, published 1872, provides this information about the content of the OPRs, including the gaps within them:

B.  blank July 1686 - May 1701. Prior to 1733, the entries are tabulated. Only five entries Dec. 1743 - Jan. 1747. Not very carefully kept 1782 - 1806.
M.  Contracts and Proclamations prior to 1686. Blank May 1686 - June 1701. Contracts and Marriages 1701 - 1762. Blank Dec. 1702 - July 1705. No entry Jan. 1743 - April 1744. Marriages after 1762, exc. a few entries of Contracts and Proclamations about 1770 - 1777.
D.  Deaths prior to 1743. Blank May 1743 - April 1806, after which date generally Deaths and Burials. Only nine entries 1806 - 1818 incl., then none till 1825; five entries 1825 - 1828 incl.; again blank till 1838, and very defective to end of Record in 1848.

Copies of the registers on microfilm may be consulted in some local libraries and at LDS Family Search Centres around the world. The indexes to baptisms / births and proclamations / marriages can also be searched on the LDS Family Search website or on the IGI on microfiche in local libraries.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

1040150 Item 4 Baptisms, 1672-1686; Session book (includes Marriage proclamations), 1672-1680.
1040151 Items 1 - 4 Session book (includes Marriage proclamations), 1680-1686; Baptisms, 1701-1854; Marriages 1701-1854; Burials, 1734-1742, 1806-1818, 1825-1828, 1838-1852; Neglected entries (baptisms), 1853- 1854.
Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Deaths / burials are listed on Fife Family History Society's  Pre-1855 Fife Deaths CD.

Further information on the main Fife page.

Kirk Session records are held at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh. Some Kirk Session material is to be found in the OPR records (411/1). Details of church records here.

Heritors' Records (HR126) are at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh. Details of records here.

Other Churches :

Records of other churches are held by the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh.

Details of church records here.

The Burntisland page of the LDS Family Search Research Wiki has more information about church history and records.

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. Full information on the main Fife page.

Registration districts covering this parish:

Registration district number start date end date
Burntisland burgh 411/1 1855 1855
Burntisland landward 411/2 1855 1855
Burntisland 411 1856 1971
Burntisland 423 1972 1991
Kirkcaldy 421 1992 2002
Fife 421 2003  

Registration districts did not necessarily coincide exactly with parishes. In the 20th century especially, there were frequent changes in registration districts.

Court Records

There are Burgh Court Books (from 1581) in the Burgh Records. Details of records here.

On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website there is an index to Burntisland Burgh Register of Deeds (1731-1874).

Description & Travel

Burntisland town centre Ordnance Survey Grid Reference GPS Post code Lat. 563'34"N
NT 232858 56.058860
-3.234860
KY3 9AH Lon. 314'3"W

Burntisland.Net is a very informative website with a lot of useful historical information.

Surrounding parishes: Kinghorn, Aberdour.

Return to top of page

Directories

The parish entry in Pigot's National Commercial Directory for the whole of Scotland, 1837, is online at Google Books.

Westwood's Parochial Directory for the Counties of Fife and Kinross for 1862 and 1866 are online at Google Books. On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website there is a transcription of the 1862 edition.

Gazetteers

There is a list of places in Burntisland parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.

Several old gazetteers are available. They all contain descriptions of the parish and many are also worth searching for entries of places within the parish.

Historical Geography

A Vision of Britain provides historical descriptions, population & housing statistics, historic boundaries and maps.

Land & Property

Details of historic buildings and archaeological sites in this parish held by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Edinburgh, are catalogued at ScotlandsPlaces. In the results, click RCAHMS. Unfortunately, not all entries have digital images.

Maps

Historic maps:

This British Library webpage uses small examples of historical maps of London to show the differences between maps at various scales.

Present-day maps:

Military History

War graves can be seen at the Scottish Wargraves Project and war memorials can be seen at the Scottish War Memorials Project.

Names, Geographical

There is an index to the Ordnance Survey Object Name Books for this parish here.

Obituaries

Andrew Campbell has produced Fife Deaths from Newspapers 1822-1854 - a compilation of deaths recorded in local newspapers. Copies of this index are held by the Fife libraries and the Family History Societies.

Fife Deaths Abroad 1855-1900 - a compilation of overseas deaths recorded in Fife newspapers - has been produced by Andrew Campbell of Fife Family History Society. The Society have re-published it in their Publications Series, 26.

Return to top of page

Occupations

A list of Burntisland hammermen, 1648 - 1835, extracted from the records of the Burntisland Hammermen Craft Minute Book, held by the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library and Kirkcaldy Central Library, has been published by the Fife Family History Society in Publication 13 - Trade Incorporation Records and is also available on the Records pages of their website.

Also available on the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website are transcriptions of Burntisland Wrights (1648-1835), Weavers (1685-1866), Tailors (1685-1835), Shoemakers (1685-1835), Fleshers (1685-1835) and Bakers (1685-1835).

The parish is included in Andrew Campbell's compilation of Fife Shopkeepers and Traders 1820-1870 taken from newspapers and directories. It is available in most Fife reference libraries, in the libraries of the family history societies, and at the Manuscript Department of the Special Collections Department of St Andrews University Library. It is also available as Fife Traders and Shopkeepers on CD from Fife Family History Society.

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

The relief of paupers after 1845 was carried out by the Parochial Board and later by the Parish Council. Their records are at the Fife Council Archive Centre. Details of records here.

Peter Higginbotham's website has a lot of information about Kirkcaldy combination poorhouse.

Population

Year Population
1755 1390
1801 1530
1851 3158
1901 5599
1951 5883

There is a page with census statistics from 1755 to 1961 here.

See also A Vision of Britain and Histpop for population statistics.

Probate Records

Prior to 1824, wills, testaments & inventories of residents of Burntisland may be found in either the St Andrews Commissariot (CC20) or the Edinburgh Commissariot (CC8) records. From 1824, commissary business has been conducted by the Sheriff Court of Fife at Cupar (SC20). From 1960, it has been conducted at Kirkcaldy (SC23) Sheriff Court.

Indexes and finding aids are given on the main Fife page.

Local sources worth searching for deeds include St Andrews Commissary Court, Cupar Sheriff Court and Burntisland Burgh Register of Deeds.

Schools

School Board records and / or school logbooks are held at the Fife Council Archive Centre. Details of records here.

Education statistics for Fife schools in 1891-2 list the following board schools in the parish:

School Board School Accommodation for scholars Average attendance
Burntisland Burntisland Public School 744 554
Burntisland Episcopal School 242 218
Binnend 233 143

Statistics

"Statistical accounts" giving fascinating insights into the local topography and history, social and economic conditions, and even the daily lives of people, were written by the parish ministers in the 1790s and the 1840s. For more information see the main Fife pages

Town Records

The oldest burgh records are held by the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh. They include Protocol Books (from 1581), Sasines Registers (from 1681) and Registers of Deeds (from 1757). Court records include some 17th century harbour dues, a burgess roll, guildry records, council minutes (from 1672) and burgh charters.

The more recent archives of the former Burgh of Burntisland are held by Fife Council Archives. They include Council and Police Commissioners Minutes from 1835, Accounts from 1764, and cemetery records from 1885.

Details of records here.

Taxation

The hearth tax, clock & watch tax, male servants tax, female servants tax, and farm horse tax are all on ScotlandsPlaces.

Voting Registers

There are Voters' Rolls at Ancestry.co.uk for Burntisland burgh for 1864 and 1894.

Return to top of page

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a search engine? If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Problems?Find help, report problems, or contribute information

Page maintained by William McM. Owen : last updated 27 September, 2013