Cameron

Description of the parish in 1862

Map showing the location of the parish

"Cameron parish contains the villages of Lathones, Peat Inn, Radernie and part of Denhead. It measures about 6 miles by 4 miles, and is bounded by St Andrews, Denino, Carnbee, Kilconquhar and Ceres. About three quarters of the land is under cultivation. There is a bed of black-band ironstone at Winthank which has been worked by a Newcastle company for a number of years. The blackband is burnt to a char at the pit mouth, then shipped to Newcastle from either St Andrews or Guardbridge. Coal is also worked in the parish, as also is lime. In addition to the parish church, there is a UP Church at Lathones." edited from Westwood's Directory for the counties of Fife & Kinross published 1862.

Towns and Villages

Lathones
Peat Inn
Radernie

Places in Cameron parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.


Please read the main Fife pages if you have not already done so.

Archives, Libraries and Museums

A separate Records Page page gives details of the records for this parish held by Scottish archives.

The ScotlandsPlaces website lets users search across national databases by geographical location. It includes, amongst other material,

Bibliography

A very good description is to be found in the relevant chapter in History of the County of Fife: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time by John M Leighton, published 1840, online at Google Books.

Cemeteries

Cameron Churchyard, off A915, Cameron (grid ref. NO 485116, GPS: 56.294030 -2.833654):

Return to top of page

Census

Parish / district reference number for 1841 - 1901 censuses: 412

The 1841 return can be searched on the FreeCEN website.

The 1851 census has been indexed by the Tay Valley Family History Society.

The 1861 census has been indexed and can be downloaded here

Some census records on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family Search Centres around the world.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

  1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891
Cameron 1042699 1042253 103826 103988 203518 208749
Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Further information on the main Fife page.

Church History

In addition to the parish church, there was also a United Presbyterian Church in Lathones.

The Old Statistical Account (written in the 1790s) does not mention any dissenters from the Established Church.

The New Statistical Account (written in 1837) gives this information:

The 1865 Ecclesiastical Directory lists the parish church and the United Presbyterian Church at Lathones.

Information and pictures of the churches at the Scottish Churches website.

Details of church history here.

Church Records

The Parish Church (Established Church, Church of Scotland):

The original Old Parish Registers (of baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages, and deaths / burials) of the Church of Scotland, which cover the years up to 1854, are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and they can all be consulted there at the National Records of Scotland. The baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages and deaths / burials indexes can be searched at the ScotlandsPeople website. Copies of the register entries may be purchased.

Parish reference number: 412

The Old Parish Registers (OPRs) span the following dates (although there are gaps within these ranges):

Cameron OPR Births / baptisms Proclamations / marriages Deaths / burials / mortcloths
412/1 1695-1819 1695-1819  
412/2 1820-1854 1820-1854 1832-1854
Data supplied by the National Records of Scotland

The Detailed List of the Old Parochial Registers of Scotland, published 1872, provides this information about the content of the OPRs, including the gaps within them:

B.  and M.  intermixed till 1709. Separate entries of Contracts and of Marriages prior to that date. Both Records blank June 1709 - 1717, after which separate Registers kept. The fact of Marriage very frequently omitted about 1782 - 1797 incl.

Copies of the registers on microfilm may be consulted in some local libraries and at LDS Family Search Centres around the world. The indexes to baptisms / births and proclamations / marriages can also be searched on the LDS Family Search website or on the IGI on microfiche in local libraries.

LDS Library Film Numbers:

1040151 Item 5 Baptisms, 1695-1820; Marriages, 1695-1819.
1040152 Item 1 Baptisms, 1819-1854; Marriages, 1820-1854; Burials, 1832-1853.
Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Deaths / burials are listed on Fife Family History Society's  Pre-1855 Fife Deaths CD.

Further information on the main Fife page.

Kirk Session records are held at the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library, with digital copies at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh. Details of church records here.

Heritors' Records (HR41) are at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh. Details of records here.

Other Churches :

Records for other churches are held at the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library.

Details of church records here.

The Cameron page of the LDS Family Search Research Wiki has more information about church history and records.

Civil Registration

Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. Full information on the main Fife page.

Registration districts covering this parish:

Registration district number start date end date
Cameron 412 1855 1967
St Andrews 453 1968 1971
St Andrews 413 1972 2002
Fife 413 2003  

Registration districts did not necessarily coincide exactly with parishes. In the 20th century especially, there were frequent changes in registration districts.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Cameron church Ordnance Survey Grid Reference GPS Post code Lat. 5617'41"N
NO 475117 56.294819
-2.849829
KY16 8PD Lon. 250'4"W

Surrounding parishes: St Andrews, Dunino, Carnbee, Ceres, Kilconquhar.

Directories

Westwood's ParochialDirectory for the Counties of Fife and Kinross for 1862 and 1866 are online at Google Books. On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website there is a transcription of the 1862 edition.

Gazetteers

There is a list of places in Cameron parish, with links to online historical and modern maps.

Several old gazetteers are available. They all contain descriptions of the parish and many are also worth searching for entries of places within the parish.

Historical Geography

A Vision of Britain provides historical descriptions, population & housing statistics, historic boundaries and maps.

Land & Property

Details of historic buildings and archaeological sites in this parish held by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Edinburgh, are catalogued at ScotlandsPlaces. In the results, click RCAHMS. Unfortunately, not all entries have digital images.

Maps

Historic maps:

This British Library webpage uses small examples of historical maps of London to show the differences between maps at various scales.

Present-day maps:

Military History

War graves can be seen at the Scottish Wargraves Project.

Names, Geographical

There is an index to the Ordnance Survey Object Name Books for this parish here.

Return to top of page

Obituaries

Andrew Campbell has produced Fife Deaths from Newspapers 1822-1854 - a compilation of deaths recorded in local newspapers. Copies of this index are held by the Fife libraries and the Family History Societies.

Fife Deaths Abroad 1855-1900 - a compilation of overseas deaths recorded in Fife newspapers - has been produced by Andrew Campbell of Fife Family History Society. The Society have re-published it in their Publications Series, 26.

Occupations

The parish is included in Andrew Campbell's compilation of Fife Shopkeepers and Traders 1820-1870 taken from newspapers and directories. It is available in most Fife reference libraries, in the libraries of the family history societies, and at the Manuscript Department of the Special Collections Department of St Andrews University Library. It is also available as Fife Traders and Shopkeepers on CD from Fife Family History Society.

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

The relief of paupers after 1845 was carried out by the Parochial Board and later by the Parish Council. Their records are at the Fife Council Archive Centre. Details of records here.

Population

Year Population
1755 1295
1801 1095
1851 1207
1901 738
1951 630

There is a page with census statistics from 1755 to 1961 here.

See also A Vision of Britain and Histpop for population statistics.

Probate Records

Prior to 1824, wills, testaments & inventories of residents of Cameron may be found in either the St Andrews Commissariot (CC20) or the Edinburgh Commissariot (CC8) records. From 1824, commissary business has been conducted by the Sheriff Court of Fife at Cupar (SC20).

Indexes and finding aids are given on the main Fife page.

Local sources worth searching for deeds include St Andrews Commissary Court and Cupar Sheriff Court.

Schools

School Board Records and / or school logbooks are held at the Fife Council Archive Centre. Details of records here.

Education statistics for Fife schools in 1891-2 list the following board schools in the parish:

School Board School Accommodation for scholars Average attendance
Cameron Cameron 68 41
Denhead 67 46
Radernie 101 52

Statistics

"Statistical accounts" giving fascinating insights into the local topography and history, social and economic conditions, and even the daily lives of people, were written by the parish ministers in the 1790s and the 1840s. For more information see the main Fife pages

Taxation

The hearth tax, clock & watch tax, male servants tax, female servants tax, and farm horse tax are all on ScotlandsPlaces.

Return to top of page