Crail Parish Records


Church History

The old church of Crail, which was built in 1243, was dedicated to St Malrubh with a later dedication to St Mary, and belonged, prior to the reformation, to the Cistercian Nunnery of Haddington. In 1517 the church was granted a collegiate foundation and between the years of 1600 and 1646 Crail held a second charge. In 1954, following the 1929 Union of the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church, the parish church of Crail (known after 1929 as Crail St Mary's) was joined with the former United Free church congregation of Crail St David's. After the union the session continued under the name of Crail and the former St David's church was converted for use as a church hall. In 1976 the Kirk Session of Crail, which sits within the Presbytery of St Andrews, was linked with Kingsbarns.

On 3 March 1795 a petition was presented to the Burgher Presbytery of Perth requesting sermon within Crail and the surrounding area, and as a consequence, on 16 March 1796 Crail Burgher congregation was established. The Synod, in 1797, granted £20 to the congregation to assist with the erection of their place of worship, which was opened in that same year, and in 1803 the first minister of the congregation, William Fraser, was ordained. Subsequently the congregation suffered various periods without a minister, and its numbers declined, but a new church was built in 1858. The church became part of the United Presbyterian Church in 1847. Following the union of the United Presbyterian Church and the Free Church of Scotland in 1900, the charge became Crail West, United Free Church, and in 1907 a union was established with the United Free Church congregation of Crail North, under the name of Crail United Free Church. Following the union the former West Church and manse were sold.

Immediately following the Disruption of 1843 a Free Church congregation was established in Crail with worship initially conducted in a hall in Rosewynd, and the charge was sanctioned in 1845, the same year in which the church of the congregation was opened. Following the union of the United Presbyterian Church and the Free Church of Scotland in 1900, the charge became Crail North, United Free Church, and in 1907 a union was established with the United Free Church congregation of Crail West, under the name of Crail United Free Church. Following 1907, the former West Church and manse were sold and as a result of the later union of the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church in 1929, the congregation was termed Crail St David's, Church of Scotland. A further union was established with the parish church of Crail St Mary's in 1954, under the name of Crail, and after this union the former St David's church was sold. In 1976 the Kirk Session of Crail, which sits within the Presbytery of St Andrews, was linked with Kingsbarns.

Return to top of page

Church Records

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library, with digital copies of the earlier volumes at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:

Included in the Old Parochial Registers on microfilm and at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh but not online:

Return to top of page

Court Records

At the Manuscript Department of the Special Collections Department of St Andrews University Library:

On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website there is an index to Crail Burgh Register of Deeds (1682-1841).

Return to top of page

Heritors' Records

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Land & Property

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Occupations

At the Manuscript Department of the Special Collections Department of St Andrews University Library:

A list of Crail hammermen, 1588 - 1743, extracted from the records of the Hammermen Incorporation of Crail, above, has been published by the Fife Family History Society in Publication 13 - Trade Incorporation Records.

On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website are similar listings of Crail Squaremen (Wrights) (1668-1743), Weavers (1694-1845), Tailors (1684-1743), Shoemakers (1589-1834), Coopers (1690-1743) and Baxters (1647-1743).

At Crail Museum, 64 Marketgate, Crail KY10 3TL:

Return to top of page

Parochial Board  /  Parish Council Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Return to top of page

School Records

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Entries less than 50 years old may contain sensitive personal information and are not on open access. If you are a former pupil you are entitled to see your own entry. Please contact the Archivist for further details.
Return to top of page

Taxation

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At the Manuscript Department of the Special Collections Department of St Andrews University Library:

Return to top of page

Town Records

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At the Manuscript Department of the Special Collections Department of St Andrews University Library:

On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website there is an index to Crail Burgh Register of Deeds (1682-1841).

At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:

Return to top of page

Voting Registers

At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:

Return to top of page

Data provided by the  Scottish Archive Network (SCAN)